Author Topic: USB Modem  (Read 23072 times)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: USB Modem
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2022, 08:30:20 pm »
Under PPP settings, there are options for fast and slow. Fast actually makes things worse, I can no longer connect reliably. Slow, on the other hand, results in a good connection. I was able to surf the web, but with the patience of a typical web page loading in 10 minutes.

The IBM dialer probably lacks the versatility of Injoy dialer, but on a better phone line, perhaps it would work.

The next question is how to switch from a failing Ethernet connection to the dialer? I expect to have to remove everything to do with Ethernet networking before activating the dialer. Is that right?

Code: [Select]
net stop messenger /y
net stop req /y
dhcpmon -t
ifconfig lan0 down
ifconfig lan0 delete
route -fh
arp -f
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2022, 02:08:20 pm »
I have used TalkThru for modem use and it works well. All the normal configuration controls. I have scripts for PPP use. Also, once there is a working modem, I have used java with the added com support from IBM for modem control. That allowed me to write things like pager connections which requires being able to send any binary character. I am not sure on the license status of TalkThru but I purchased copies back in the 90's.

I used java for automated data connections. The java was able to change the default route temporarily to the modem, away from the ethernet, and then change back when the job was done.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 02:11:38 pm by Greg Pringle »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2022, 03:33:34 pm »
I've never encountered TalkThru. Can you supply any information?
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com