Author Topic: eCS hangs on boot loading OS2DASD.DMD  (Read 5053 times)

jkrim

• View Profile
eCS hangs on boot loading OS2DASD.DMD
« on: January 28, 2022, 04:24:10 pm »
I had a working eCS installation and suddenly when I boot it, it hangs loading OS2DASD.DMD because Alt-F2 at the logo shows the message on boot and it is stuck.  Any ideas?

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: eCS hangs on boot loading OS2DASD.DMD
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 07:59:01 pm »
Did you modify something on the disc layout, add or removed a partition ?

The hang on OS2DASD.DMD can be caused by a problem switching from the miniFSD to the IFS driver used on the boot volume.

What is however more likely is that the partition is damaged. Boot from install media and run from an OS/2 command line:

chkdsk bootdrive: /f and let the chkdsk run.

Roderick

jkrim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 02:05:21 am »
I didn't modify anything, however, after a couple attempts it finally booted.  But it still seems like it fails for some reason a few times until it finally works again.  I am unable to boot any install media for this eCS installation so when it goes south I am forced to restore the entire partition with a "good" copy using a Dfsee saved image.     

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 03:44:36 am »
Dying hardware?

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 01:00:19 pm »
I occasionally have this problem with an OS/2 guest under Virtualbox. I don't know where it comes from.

But you might want to play around with the switches for DANIS506.ADD or OS2AHCI.ADD (whatever you are using) to slightly lower performance (for example, for OS2AHCI.ADD, do not enable native command queueing, do not enable HW write cache etc.) so see if that makes a difference.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 03:02:00 pm »
Hi jkrim

I have seen similar problems which seemed to indicate dying hard disks or failing mainboards but on investigation turned out to be old power supply units that were failing due to overheating, they were choked with dust. Fitting replacement PSU resolved the problem in all cases.

Might be worth opening your system case and PSU to see how clean the hardware is.

Regards

Pete

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 04:01:05 pm »
This is a problem that may or may not be related. I have two disks that do this all the time. I have installed them in many machines and the behavior is the same. Sometimes they boot normally, sometimes they boot to OS/2 is unable to operate the hard drive. Occasionally, they boot to wrong drive layout and letters.

The disks are both SSHD (Solid State Hard Drives) which is a kind of drive that uses a 8 GB SSD as a cache buffer for the 2 TB rotating drive. It can be very fast if the cache scheme works.

It seems to me that they worked reliably at one time. But they still work well, and SMART shows nothing wrong.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 06:36:25 pm »
Hi jkrim

I have seen similar problems which seemed to indicate dying hard disks or failing mainboards but on investigation turned out to be old power supply units that were failing due to overheating, they were choked with dust. Fitting replacement PSU resolved the problem in all cases.

Might be worth opening your system case and PSU to see how clean the hardware is.

Regards

Pete

This too. I use wood heat, house is dusty. Have to blow out my computer every couple of months. Big cloud of dust from the power supply.
They say it is better to vacuum then blow the dust. Either way, if cleaning make sure the fans are locked so they don't spin up and over spin. Simple piece of wood locks them, don't forget to remove.
Heat is perhaps the number one killer of hardware.