OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

eCS hangs on boot loading OS2DASD.DMD

<< < (2/2)

Pete:
Hi jkrim

I have seen similar problems which seemed to indicate dying hard disks or failing mainboards but on investigation turned out to be old power supply units that were failing due to overheating, they were choked with dust. Fitting replacement PSU resolved the problem in all cases.

Might be worth opening your system case and PSU to see how clean the hardware is.

Regards

Pete

Neil Waldhauer:
This is a problem that may or may not be related. I have two disks that do this all the time. I have installed them in many machines and the behavior is the same. Sometimes they boot normally, sometimes they boot to OS/2 is unable to operate the hard drive. Occasionally, they boot to wrong drive layout and letters.

The disks are both SSHD (Solid State Hard Drives) which is a kind of drive that uses a 8 GB SSD as a cache buffer for the 2 TB rotating drive. It can be very fast if the cache scheme works.

It seems to me that they worked reliably at one time. But they still work well, and SMART shows nothing wrong.

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Pete on January 29, 2022, 03:02:00 pm ---Hi jkrim

I have seen similar problems which seemed to indicate dying hard disks or failing mainboards but on investigation turned out to be old power supply units that were failing due to overheating, they were choked with dust. Fitting replacement PSU resolved the problem in all cases.

Might be worth opening your system case and PSU to see how clean the hardware is.

Regards

Pete

--- End quote ---

This too. I use wood heat, house is dusty. Have to blow out my computer every couple of months. Big cloud of dust from the power supply.
They say it is better to vacuum then blow the dust. Either way, if cleaning make sure the fans are locked so they don't spin up and over spin. Simple piece of wood locks them, don't forget to remove.
Heat is perhaps the number one killer of hardware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version