OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Web applications

Timeline announcement for public beta of new Otter Browser....

<< < (3/6) > >>

ivan:
Hi Dave,

I considered doing that on my backup Linux box but it was just too much messing about and wanted the install of unnecessary junk on the small hard disk.

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on February 15, 2022, 01:47:31 am ---ivan, everyone...

--- Quote from: ivan on February 15, 2022, 12:58:41 am ---...If it won't do those things I will continue using Dave's Firefox ESR 38.8.0 on OS/2 or the Linux Firefox ESR via my KVM switch.
--- End quote ---

Here is what's been eating away at me: the funding drive, while generally a great and just effort, seems to be single handedly relying on us, the OS/2 end-users to cover the costs. So where are the big-fish of our platform in all of this? Does anyone know? Have those kind of conversations taken place and have any results been arrived at?

If you want to talk full-disclosure, well, let's "talk the talk, and walk the walk"...much easier to raise additional funds if we all understand the full playing field!

--- End quote ---

Hello Dariusz,

From my perspective nothing has changest since about 2012 when Bitwise Works was founded. A lot of funding
came from the community. Like with QT 4.68 at the time as Netlabs project a lot of people contributed to the
community.

When it comes to "big fish" you mean large companies ? In the 10 years I worked at Mensys on eCS (from about 2002 until 2013) not
a single large customer demanded browser support. 

So for me the fund raising is not that much different as it has been over the last 10 years.

Roderick Klein
President OS/2 VOICE

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on February 15, 2022, 01:47:31 am ---So where are the big-fish of our platform in all of this? Does anyone know? Have those kind of conversations taken place and have any results been arrived at?

--- End quote ---

It is hard to read between lines, but I took it as "Where it is Arca Noae, about the New Browser?" Arca Noae is the only company here with some money flow, they should care more about having a modern browser. I had seen their presentation when they say that newer versions of ArcaOS will include a modern browser, but I don't know how much they are collaborating or donating to the BWW project. I know Arca Noae is very busy right now with their 5.1 release, I see a lot of activity (on the testers mailing lists) trying to consolidate that version, but I don't know how much they contributed to this browser.

Regards

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: mike on February 15, 2022, 09:57:28 am ---What was the reason why the Otter Browser was chosen in first place? The Qupzilla/Falkon browser is more frequently updated and has a larger user base. It has the same requirement for a current QT framework.

--- End quote ---

I will check Dmitry from Bitwise Works. But I seem to recall the Falkon browser would even be more work, because we need yet another library and would take more time to port.

Roderick Klein
President OS/2 VOICE

Dmitriy Kuminov:

--- Quote from: mike on February 15, 2022, 09:57:28 am ---What was the reason why the Otter Browser was chosen in first place? The Qupzilla/Falkon browser is more frequently updated and has a larger user base. It has the same requirement for a current QT framework.

--- End quote ---
The reason is simple: Falkon (as opposed to its predecessor Qupzilla) is KDE based. So, besides Qt, it also requires a recent version of KDE Framework (KF5) to build. It is a huge project and it is a very complex task to port it it to OS/2.

BTW, Otter is updated not that much but quite frequently, check https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/commits/master.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version