Author Topic: Arca Noae should be directly involved in web browser development efforts  (Read 5927 times)

David Kiley

• View Profile
I think Arca Noae should be prioritizing the browser over hardware support at this point and should be directly involved in the efforts to develop a functional browser either with development work or funding..
Users of OS/2 can live with slightly or even much older hardware for years but an OS is dead in the water without a functional browser.

I could see a purpose of paying to  upgrade ArcaOS if they did this but otherwise I kind of don't.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 10:14:25 am by David Kiley »

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: Arca Noae should be directly involved in web browser development efforts
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 03:49:53 pm »
I think Arca Noae should be prioritizing the browser over hardware support at this point and should be directly involved in the efforts to develop a functional browser either with development work or funding..
Users of OS/2 can live with slightly or even much older hardware for years but an OS is dead in the water without a functional browser.

I could see a purpose of paying to  upgrade ArcaOS if they did this but otherwise I kind of don't.

Like in the Mensys days the community does a portion of the OS development. If AN wants todo browser development is part two. Send an email to AN about this. I know they do not read the forums allways.

BWW and OS/2 VOICE (me) started working on the QT web browser. This project has proven to be (despite making an estimate) a very big pile of work. But that is what you get with one FTE.

The primary reason that the browser was never finished is because Dmitry is from Russia. To put it simple in a recent newspaper interview with Norwegian newspaper he compares Russia to facits state. Dmitry was in 2014 involved with starting the independed  the independed newswebsite https://media.zona. Which has been declared a foreign agent (goverment sanctions). At this moment Dmitry has left Russia also because he does not support Putin his genocidal war in Ukraine and because of his activity with independed press. Dmitry has for 2 years not found a new country to stay. Effectively he moved to Turkey and is now in one of the Baltic states. He will most likely never be able to go back to Russia as long as the country does not turn into a democratic direction.

I just explain this above for people who did not see my Warpstock presentation I did in Orlando in November last year.
I am currently working on an updated newsletter about the browser development. VOICE has not forgotten about the browser, The panful issue is that without this stiupid war we would have had a browser.

Roderick Klein
OS/2 VOICE

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 11:48:46 am »
as long as the country does not turn into a democratic direction
Nooooo, please, never!!!  ;)

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 01:32:36 pm »
I have never understood why Russia never managed to make more out of their abilities and possibilities.

They have capable sports guys, they have capable and talented artists (some of the world best pianists among them), they have smart people (I have a big maths book written by a Russian mathematician in the 1950's or so), they have resources/raw materials and they have money.
But the result is just plain meagre.

Davorin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 01:43:37 pm »
The primary reason that the browser was never finished is because Dmitry is from Russia. To put it simple in a recent newspaper interview with Norwegian newspaper he compares Russia to facits state.
Bandera is a democrat and Putin is a fascist??!
" O tempora, o mores"
:'(

We definitely need a functional browser and I am ready to financially help the new team again, which will not run away before the job is done.

Regards
Davorin

Andrew Stephenson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 02:48:18 pm »
(Photo of sign board in snow:)  Er, sub-titles?  (Please.)   ???

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 05:05:30 pm »
My answer to the problem, since I will not run a browser without NoScript addon, is to have a second monitor connected to one of my Linux computers and run firefox esr on that.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 05:43:02 pm »

I just explain this above for people who did not see my Warpstock presentation I did in Orlando in November last year.
I am currently working on an updated newsletter about the browser development. VOICE has not forgotten about the browser, The panful issue is that without this stiupid war we would have had a browser.

Roderick Klein
OS/2 VOICE

Hi Roderick full respect for those ones who experience a hard period because of....we all know what/who.

But this post has "Arca Noae" as subject. It is a profit Company who sells a pc operating system at 139€ as personal edition including support for the first 6 months, then pay 70€ if you need support the following year, not talking about the major costs for the commercial license.  This in the situation that "the community does a portion of the OS development"???  And this portion of development includes the realization of an actual browser. In both purchase cases (139 € personal, 249 € commecial) you will get an operating system "running on modern multi-core and multi-processor systems, as well as traditional BIOS or UEFI-based hardware" that can offer you nothing more than Firefox38/Seamonkey2.41 browsers, released in 2015, two years old by the year AN took in charge the OS2 development for selling purpose.
They did a lot, true, but telling that a modern/actual/reliable browser realization (or at least ported from an existing one) is not part of their tasks, is too much.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 08:43:04 pm by mauro »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 06:41:41 pm »
Arca Noae has the right to pick or choose the things, they want to develoep or make their target. That's true and OK.

Regarding the browser the "American/English" users may discover the feelings for waiting for years for something as Users from other languages, whom are waiting for their local release.

I.e.:

- the german Version was announced some years ago (Yes, allways with the hint that it "may" come and depends on the Translators)

Result today: still not available, should come with 5.1.1.

- the WLAN Drivers, have been "focused" or "considered" for at least 5 years now

Result today: no WLAN drivers available, no plan for a further developement in this direction (if I understand Warpstock 2023 correct).

Yes, you can say we have UEFI, GPT support and USB 3.0, that is what industrial customers need. And one can install XWP 1.0.16 with language support.

But for me, the result is the same: if I want to use OS/2 it makes definitly more sense to use a Virtualisation, where I can use a native language version, WLAN of the host, no RAM problem with a maximum of 4 GB usable, and support for the screen resolutions, the Laptop offers.

In this situation there is no need for a new browser as one can simply use the browser of the host OS,

And in addition, as a logical consequence, there is no need for another or newer Version of OS/2 than at least 4.52. There is no need for ArcaOS.

And so: it makes (sadly) no sense for me to spend more money for a modern browser nor to pursuade someone to do so.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 06:47:50 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »