OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Programming

i686 vs Pentium 4

<< < (2/5) > >>

Silvan Scherrer:

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on March 06, 2022, 03:23:53 pm ---As an end user, I don't care what instruction set is used. But if I change my settings from i686 to pentium4 with rpm/yum, everything should still work afterward. For me it's not the instruction set, but the quality of the rpm specs.

--- End quote ---
It does still work. Just let the update do its work.

--- Quote ---Martin had to remove rpm/yum entirely and start over to change from i686 to pentium4. If that is what is needed, then please supply a tool to do it in one quick operation.

--- End quote ---
I dont know what he tried exactly.but he did it wrong for sure. As the update process works. And its not necessary to change arch for all. Just use yum update to update to later versions when available. And as said this works. If not open a ticket and we will solve it.

Silvan Scherrer:

--- Quote from: ivan on March 06, 2022, 04:37:42 pm ---While all the above may be true it also underscores the reason I will not use RPM/YUM on any of my OS/2 based computers.  If I absolutely have to use one of the RPM offerings, I will download from the repository and unpack it on my test computer transferring what is needed to my work computer.

In my opinion all this can/could be avoided by using what we had befor someone decided to follow SUSE linux route - in other words WARPIN.

--- End quote ---
Feel free to solve all dependencies by hand. And configure then right.  And go ahead and create wpi packages for all rpm. We certainly will not do it.

Martin Iturbide:

--- Quote from: Silvan Scherrer on March 06, 2022, 05:35:17 pm ---
--- Quote ---Martin had to remove rpm/yum entirely and start over to change from i686 to pentium4. If that is what is needed, then please supply a tool to do it in one quick operation.

--- End quote ---
I dont know what he tried exactly.but he did it wrong for sure.

--- End quote ---
Hi

I was suggested the reinstall of RPM as an alternative to change everything to pentium4, and that is what I had tried.

According to what I had read between lines on some posts (haven't found any official post, instruction or suggestion), the "right" procedure is to change os2-base to pentium4, do not worry about mixing i686 with pentium4 packages and that's all. If someone is experiencing some problems please post the error.

Regards

Dave Yeo:
As I stated at the top, the conversation should be about the architecture, not the benefits/drawbacks of RPM, that ship has sailed. Our volunteers are comfortable with RPM and we get RPM and we do need a package manager, which Warpin is not.
Likewise about the process of changing architectures, which generally works fine and with a little bit of work in ANPM updating the odd individual package has been mostly fine with any problems likely in the spec file.
The question is how to easily fix the performance hit from using Netburst on most anything that isn't on Netburst.
I was going to write a long comment on hello world and differences in the compiler output, and then realized that Hello World isn't a good example. The difference was one directive in the source code that aligns memory to 4 byte boundaries. Surprisingly using -march=pentium4 didn't have that directive, neither did using the -Os (small memory footprint) optimization flag.
Most all computers load memory in 4 byte or multiples of 4 byte chunks and have since the i686, likewise the cache uses 4 byte or 16 byte chunks so there should be a performance increase, along with a slight hit on memory aligning the instructions to 4 byte boundaries. SSE[2,3] also requires that alignment.

Dariusz Piatkowski:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on March 08, 2022, 02:55:11 am ---As I stated at the top, the conversation should be about the architecture, not the benefits/drawbacks of RPM, that ship has sailed. Our volunteers are comfortable with RPM and we get RPM and we do need a package manager, which Warpin is not...
--- End quote ---

Thanks Dave fore re-focusing this discussion on the main topic.

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on March 08, 2022, 02:55:11 am ---...The question is how to easily fix the performance hit from using Netburst on most anything that isn't on Netburst...
--- End quote ---

So what do we actually know, as opposed to believe, this performance penalty to be?

As you know I'm happily chugging away using my AMD Phenom II CPU, old tech by today's standards, but it does support some of the instructions that have the potential to improve system performance, that being: SSE, SSE2, SSE4a. So from that perspective I do not see anything wrong with the move towards pentium4 releases.

If anything, I wish we actually had a more real choice, that being CPU specific package builds, basically along the lines of what you did for me building my Phenom specific FF release. In that case, I did genuinely see an improved performance and could benchmark enough to actually put a real metric on the results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version