Author Topic: PMMail (Thunderbird) can't access POP outlook.office365.com (soon gmail.com)  (Read 5058 times)

Guillaume Gay

• View Profile
Bonjour to all,

This message to inform you that PMMail, among other mail clients, can't access "outlook.office365.com" via POP/SMTP protocols (via Stunnel) anymore, due to the activation of two-factor authentication.
This will soon be the case for the access to GMail.com starting May 30th.

This marks  the end of using of PMMail for me. And this will force me to use the web mail of the providers :-\ and not on OS/2  :'(

I still have to find an alternative to ETeller and I'll probably phase out my old OS/2 (eCS) machine.

Have a nice day you all!
--
Guillaume GAY
--
Guillaume GAY

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
You can't use your phone for the 2 factor authentication by manually copying the code over?
With Thunderbird and Gmail, they recently forced me to use an app password, IIRC, I had to use my phone for the two factor part and replace my password with a new one time one, then it was back to working fine here. See https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255 and the link towards the bottom of the page, "Use an App Password"
But yes, our operating system and old mail clients are likely to get phased out in the name of security.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
I'll add that Apple iCloud mail has been on two-factor authentication for years. It works fine in Thunderbird, and probably would work in PMMail.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Hmm...interesting because I have been using Thunderbird here with my Gmail account and had the 2-way authentication turned on quite some time ago.

Google does have a process in place (application password) that will allow you to define app-specific password that the application can authenticate with. Works quite fine with TB, I only wish the Google Contacts add-on would handle that...

Can't speak to PMMail, but I suppose that should apply as well given that you need to provide ID/PASS credentials there as well.

Remy

• View Profile
Bonjour to all,

This message to inform you that PMMail, among other mail clients, can't access "outlook.office365.com" via POP/SMTP protocols (via Stunnel) anymore, due to the activation of two-factor authentication.
This will soon be the case for the access to GMail.com starting May 30th.

This marks  the end of using of PMMail for me. And this will force me to use the web mail of the providers :-\ and not on OS/2  :'(

I still have to find an alternative to ETeller and I'll probably phase out my old OS/2 (eCS) machine.

Have a nice day you all!
--
Guillaume GAY

Salut Guillaume,

It works for me using the new authentification process but it wasn't well at first try.
I had to have Firefox up before trying thunderbird auth if I well remember...

Coucou à Vincent
@+
Rémy
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 12:16:20 am by Remy »

Guillaume Gay

• View Profile
Bonjour,

I'll see how ThunderBird (under Linux) performs with GMail passed May 30th.
There seems to be a way to make it to work with Office 365 at some point:
  https://blog.programster.org/connecting-thunderbird-to-office-365-when-using-2FA
  https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=102005
I've also been told there's a payware extension for ThunderBird.

The security @Work has been elevated for the IT guys in such a way I receive a code by SMS for every connection.
I now feel like I am working at IBM or something!  :P

For the ones who would like to keep on using the good old PMMail, it will be quite difficult.

@Rémy : je transmettrai le message. J'espère pouvoir aller visiter sa nouvelle maison, près du "berceau" d'IBM/Lexmark France.  ;) En remontant la Loire à la nage, si je veux (mais si je le veux vraiment, hein !), je peux même aller chez lui sans utiliser une goutte d'essence...

--
Guilaume Gay
--
Guillaume GAY

Wayne A. Smith

• View Profile
Bonjour,

I'll see how ThunderBird (under Linux) performs with GMail passed May 30th.
There seems to be a way to make it to work with Office 365 at some point:
  https://blog.programster.org/connecting-thunderbird-to-office-365-when-using-2FA
  https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=102005
I've also been told there's a payware extension for ThunderBird.

The security @Work has been elevated for the IT guys in such a way I receive a code by SMS for every connection.
I now feel like I am working at IBM or something!  :P

For the ones who would like to keep on using the good old PMMail, it will be quite difficult.

@Rémy : je transmettrai le message. J'espère pouvoir aller visiter sa nouvelle maison, près du "berceau" d'IBM/Lexmark France.  ;) En remontant la Loire à la nage, si je veux (mais si je le veux vraiment, hein !), je peux même aller chez lui sans utiliser une goutte d'essence...

--
Guilaume Gay

If constrained by a work environment beyond your control, then Yes there is likely a problem.  However if one has control over it there certainly are alternatives.  (GMail could be a different story and I can't comment on it.)

I have three Domains at GoDaddy and was informed about a year ago that its old tried-and-true Workspace E-Mail was being retired in favor of Office 365 Outlook.  After being assured it would work w/ third party clients, I switched.

Lo-and-Behold, after much frustration and loss of time, I couldn't get it to work on PMMail or Thunderbird.  I finally remembered that when I had HughesNet as my ISP I had no problems.  So I did some research and discovered that Hughes Web Services provides e-mail services even for Domains hosted elsewhere.  In short I set up accounts w/ HWS for it to host e-mail for two of my Domains and it works fine w/ PMMail.  For one address it is USD 2.99/month and for up to five addresses at a given Domain it is USD 5.99/month,  I'm sure there are also alternative providers allowing like services, thus permitting circumventing that D--- M$.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile

Actually, it is not difficult, at all. You do need two step verification (2SV), or 2 Factor authentication (2FA, but I haven't tried that). That is for access to any Google service, not just e-mail, and it has absolutely nothing, at all, to do with PMMail (or T'Bird). Then, you need to create a "special" password, using the tool in your Google account. The created password replaces the password that you use in PMMail (or T'Bird), and all is well. Nothing else changes.

There is a reasonably good description at: https://tehnoblog.org/google-account-2-step-verification-how-to-enable-access-to-outlook-mozilla-thunderbird-3rd-party-email-apps/

FTR, 2SV doesn't work very well, so be prepared to try alternatives.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
I got my regular Gmail account (using POP) to work fine in our Thunderbird just by using their one time password. After Telus moved me to Gmail, never could get it working on OS/2, since I've mostly moved away from it not much missed and access it now and again in Linux with TB.
Talking about Telus, the home phone was in the wives name. We cancelled it last year. Still get billed, seems we owe them negative $3 and even the old dial up internet seems to still be there, useless without a phone line but likely why my Telus email is still working.