Author Topic: Sources of DBExpert?  (Read 16917 times)

Thomas M.

• View Profile
Sources of DBExpert?
« on: January 08, 2014, 12:41:47 pm »
Here

http://de.os2.org/forum/diskussion/?id=138463&order=2

Wolfgang is asking for a way to make DBExpert work with mySQL. He gave unixODBC a try without success.
Wolfgang is interested in the sources of DBExpert. As he knows that Randell S. Flint has died, he is looking for an E-Mail address of his wife to ask if she is interested in selling the sources.
Is anybody here who might be helpfull?

Thanks a lot for your participation.

Thomas

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Sources of DBExpert?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 02:05:26 pm »
Hi Thomas.

DBExpert is from Sundial Systems and Randell S. Flint. Randell passed away some time ago (a pointer to the exact date will be appreciated). 

I had been told to talk to his wife "Carla Hanzlik" to ask for the source code, but I have no way to contact her.  (That's the information I got, any correction will be appreciated too)

Any information about Carla will be appreciated. I will try to contact her if I can get some contact information.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:17:02 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 03:50:03 pm »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:47:45 pm »
The two emails are not working. But I called the phone and left a messages.

Let's hope I can reach her later.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 01:01:50 am »
Hi.

Carla contacted me back, we talked a little bit. We are not sure if DBExpert can be released as open source yet, it will take some time to check for the files.

But she told me that DBExpert shipped with ODBC drivers licensed from InterSolve. Do you know of a free ODBC driver for OS/2 that could be used instead?

I just asked on the german forum  if Wolfgang will be interested on removing the dependencies on InterSolve ODBC drivers?

Regards
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:06:54 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Thomas M.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 01:13:49 pm »
Hello Martin,

this is great news.
As you are in contact with Carla please ask her if it is possible to open source the other Sundial Software. Especially Mesa was asked by another user (Frank).

Thank you VERY much for your continuously working for us.

Thomas

Hi.

Carla contacted me back, we talked a little bit. We are not sure if DBExpert can be released as open source yet, it will take some time to check for the files.

But she told me that DBExpert shipped with ODBC drivers licensed from InterSolve. Do you know of a free ODBC driver for OS/2 that could be used instead?

I just asked on the german forum  if Wolfgang will be interested on removing the dependencies on InterSolve ODBC drivers?

Regards

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 08:51:17 pm »

Unixodbc?

Thomas M.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 01:30:34 pm »
Hello Martin,

here is another message of Wolfgang, who would like to work on the sources of DBExpert:

Quote:

As I know UnixODBC is open Source.
If it is not possible to put DBExpert to OpenSource, may be it is possible to buy the sources. It depends on the money she asks for.
Then I can handle DBExpert as Close-Source and may be fix errors and publish compiled versions of DBExpert.
(As I do with WDSibyl-Pascal-Compiler)

End of quote

Hi.

Regards

wdsibyl

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 05:36:10 am »
Hello!

I'm Wolfgang, who write on WDSibyl and other programs.
At the moment i'm writting on WDSQL. This is a comandlline-program for UnixODBC.

...and thus I am looking for the last sources for DBExperts  and UnixODBC (Version 0.10)

Is there any information about this.

Thank you,
Wolfgang

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 10:59:34 am »
When Rendall Flint was still alive I talked to him about source code for DB expert. Some things make it very difficult. Right now I know from people who know Carla that its better to leave Carla alone.
Dispite the fact its a few years ago Randall died its emotional for here. At least for this 2014 you should not count of getting the sources for DBexpert.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 02:43:06 pm »
Hi Wolfgang

I stopped contacting Carla, because Roderick told me this subject was sensitive to her.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

wdsibyl

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 09:23:51 pm »
Hello!

Thank you for the information

bye
Wolfgang