Author Topic: Python and GUI on OS/2  (Read 5325 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Python and GUI on OS/2
« on: March 23, 2022, 01:55:40 am »
Hi

I'm just curious about something. I was reading about python and I wondered if some GUI application can be done in this language. I read that GUI application on python are possible using "Python-Tkinter". There are these interfaces, PyQtis (for Qt), PyGTK (for GTK) and WxPython ( for WxWidgets).

I noticed recently on the installation of Scribus that there is a "python3-tkinter" lib/interface available for OS/2.
- Does python GUI apps porting is possible with python3-tkinter on OS/2?
- Is this "python3-tkinter" connected to Qt 5 to produce the GUI elements on OS/2?
- Is this the prefered way (python3-tkinter) for the python developers to produce GUI elements in python?

I'm just curious, I don't have any plans or ideas, (maybe to check more python 3 open source software that can be ported), but I wwill like to resolve these doubts.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Re: Python and GUI on OS/2
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 09:54:08 am »
Hey Martin,
IMHO  the only viable option for GUI programming with Python on OS/2 is PyQt - https://wiki.python.org/moin/PyQt. Python-Tkinter used the Tcl/Tk gui toolkit - which we  don't have (other than some ancient version that maybe worked with X11); PtGTK needs GTK which we don't have; and WxPython uses WxWidgets which other than some of the examples, is non-functional (IMO) on OS/2.

I know I did a build of PyQt4 years ago, and I believe bww also ported it - I haven't checked though if they've done PyQT5.

Cheers,

Paul

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 01:14:41 pm »
Thanks Paul

So, at the moment, python apps that uses GUI components with "Python-Tkinter" will not work on OS/2?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 08:11:07 am »
Hi Martin,

So, at the moment, python apps that uses GUI components with "Python-Tkinter" will not work on OS/2?

That's my understanding.

Cheers,

Paul

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 03:08:45 am »
Hey Martin,
IMHO  the only viable option for GUI programming with Python on OS/2 is PyQt - https://wiki.python.org/moin/PyQt. Python-Tkinter used the Tcl/Tk gui toolkit - which we  don't have (other than some ancient version that maybe worked with X11)
Tcl/Tk is ancient but is PM and not X11.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 05:18:52 pm »
There are very few job offers related to Python.
The situation is worse than with PHP.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 02:46:33 pm »
Hi Sergey

Maybe at the present time, based in your local geography, you are right. From my point of view in the enterprise development enviroment there is a high use of Java, .Net (C#) and Dojo Javascript. That is what my team uses everyday.

But the market is pushing hard the Artificial intelligence based solutions, and python seems to be the prefered language for it and for the newer generation of programmers.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/793628/worldwide-developer-survey-most-used-languages/
https://www.northeastern.edu/graduate/blog/most-popular-programming-languages/

My interest is just based that I'm guessing that more python open source software will be available in the future and I think we should try to take that wagon to have more software running on the OS/2 platform.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 02:48:44 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster