OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Programming

Python and GUI on OS/2

(1/2) > >>

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

I'm just curious about something. I was reading about python and I wondered if some GUI application can be done in this language. I read that GUI application on python are possible using "Python-Tkinter". There are these interfaces, PyQtis (for Qt), PyGTK (for GTK) and WxPython ( for WxWidgets).

I noticed recently on the installation of Scribus that there is a "python3-tkinter" lib/interface available for OS/2.
- Does python GUI apps porting is possible with python3-tkinter on OS/2?
- Is this "python3-tkinter" connected to Qt 5 to produce the GUI elements on OS/2?
- Is this the prefered way (python3-tkinter) for the python developers to produce GUI elements in python?

I'm just curious, I don't have any plans or ideas, (maybe to check more python 3 open source software that can be ported), but I wwill like to resolve these doubts.

Regards

Paul Smedley:
Hey Martin,
IMHO  the only viable option for GUI programming with Python on OS/2 is PyQt - https://wiki.python.org/moin/PyQt. Python-Tkinter used the Tcl/Tk gui toolkit - which we  don't have (other than some ancient version that maybe worked with X11); PtGTK needs GTK which we don't have; and WxPython uses WxWidgets which other than some of the examples, is non-functional (IMO) on OS/2.

I know I did a build of PyQt4 years ago, and I believe bww also ported it - I haven't checked though if they've done PyQT5.

Cheers,

Paul

Martin Iturbide:
Thanks Paul

So, at the moment, python apps that uses GUI components with "Python-Tkinter" will not work on OS/2?

Regards

Paul Smedley:
Hi Martin,

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on March 23, 2022, 01:14:41 pm ---So, at the moment, python apps that uses GUI components with "Python-Tkinter" will not work on OS/2?

--- End quote ---

That's my understanding.

Cheers,

Paul

Andy Willis:

--- Quote from: Paul Smedley on March 23, 2022, 09:54:08 am ---Hey Martin,
IMHO  the only viable option for GUI programming with Python on OS/2 is PyQt - https://wiki.python.org/moin/PyQt. Python-Tkinter used the Tcl/Tk gui toolkit - which we  don't have (other than some ancient version that maybe worked with X11)

--- End quote ---
Tcl/Tk is ancient but is PM and not X11.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version