Author Topic: XWorkplace Xview - Icon Size  (Read 548 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
XWorkplace Xview - Icon Size
« on: March 20, 2024, 09:11:51 pm »
Hello Rich

Do you know if there is a way to increase the icon size on the "Xview" view in XWP?
I was thinking that the right panel was using the standard "Icon view", but I guess it works differently.

It is something on xWorkplace or in DynamicIcons?

Regards
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 09:45:44 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
Re: XWorkplace Xview - Icon Size
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 05:52:16 pm »
Do you know if there is a way to increase the icon size on the "Xview" view in XWP?

If you want full-sized icons (40px), you can select View->Options and uncheck "Small icons".

It is something on xWorkplace or in DynamicIcons?

Dynamic Icons was designed to support one window per folder - it does not understand Xview's file-manager design. Now that I have a better idea of how Dynamic Icons works internally, I can see several ways to add support for Xview. The question I have is whether it is really appropriate to do so.

XWP is OSS licensed under the GPL. D.I. is proprietary software owned by ecoSoft that can only be distributed as part of AOS. Should I add support to XWP for a feature that only benefits some users - even if I can do it in a way that doesn't violate the GPL?

It would be more appropriate to add this support to D.I. but I don't own or control it. And quite honestly, I'm unwilling to work on profit-generating software without being paid for my efforts. As it happens, I just finished working on a major update to D.I. that AN did pay me for. But, are they willing to put out more money for yet another round of enhancements? I don't know.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 07:13:47 pm »
Maybe I am the odd man out here but I have been using OS/2 since 1989 and have been very happy with the icons, both in size and appearance since Warp 3.  I don't understand why some people want to change to size unless they are using a 30 inch plus 16:10 monitor or they need glasses.  There are many other things we need to concern ourselves about, a working full feature browser that uses standard add-ons as an example - I must thank Dave for his work on Firefox.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 08:11:04 pm »
Hello Rich

If you want full-sized icons (40px), you can select View->Options and uncheck "Small icons".

That helped me in some way. I disabled the "Small Icons" (Picture Attached) and Xview it is better looking for me now, even that it will be nice to have also DynamicIcons (Big icons) support just because I need those just a little bit bigger in my laptop and I like the PNG icons that David does.

XWP is OSS licensed under the GPL. D.I. is proprietary software owned by ecoSoft that can only be distributed as part of AOS. Should I add support to XWP for a feature that only benefits some users - even if I can do it in a way that doesn't violate the GPL?

It would be more appropriate to add this support to D.I. but I don't own or control it. And quite honestly, I'm unwilling to work on profit-generating software without being paid for my efforts. As it happens, I just finished working on a major update to D.I. that AN did pay me for. But, are they willing to put out more money for yet another round of enhancements? I don't know.
I don't have the numbers on how many people uses OS/2 Warp 4.52 and how many uses ArcaOS. It will be fine to benefit the ArcaOS users, but I share your same concern. I don't think that XWP should adapt to DI, it should be the other way. XWP works over the standard IBM Workplace Shell and I don't think it should provide features for software that is not open source and was not part of the original WPS.

I guess I have a problem here. I want big icons on Xview but I don't want XWP source code to have dependencies on close source third party (with the exception of IBM's WPS of course)

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.