Author Topic: Test build of dooble with qt5  (Read 125437 times)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Test build of dooble with qt5
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2022, 06:16:50 pm »
First thing is to make sure you have enough memory. VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT needs to be high, maybe 3072 and you should run the script I posted to mark all DLL's to load high.

My systems become unstable, if I use VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT above 2560. I did run your script, and rebooted.

After reboot, Above512 shows (in KB) low private mmemory: 357120, low shared memory: 270592, upper private memory: 1835008, upper shared memory: 1814144. After starting Dooble, it shows low private mmemory: 305536, low shared memory: 208000, upper private memory: 1713728, upper shared memory: 684116.

From that, it appears that VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=2560 is sufficient (but other things could use more upper shared memory than what is left). There is no hope that this would even get off the ground, without at least 1.2 GB of upper shared memory available. Then, it seems to eat more upper shared memory, as it is used. Lower shared memory, and private memory, seems to be adequate.

Of course, this is a very rough estimate of these numbers, and different user setups can change the numbers.

I wonder if a TURBO is needed, to keep DLLs loaded in high memory, without unloading them. It would likely help startup speed too.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2022, 10:52:31 pm »
I have to ask if this is supposed to work with my Ryzen Gen 3 processor system before I mess with a now working system.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2022, 01:25:45 am »
Hi Ivan, why wouldn't it work with an i386 with SSE2 compatible processor? Pentium 4 is a crappy architecture for most of us but shouldn't be worse for your AMD then my I5.
I have asked Bitwise to tune for generic which will help all of us.

Hi Doug, yes, it seems 2560 is good enough and if that's the highest that is stable, well stick with it.
As for a turbo program, it was mostly needed to work around a kernel bug that didn't properly release high memory, now fixed in ArcaOS, still be handy for older kernels and as you mention, probably speed up loading. Help with memory fragmentation too, which will bite us after starting and stopping programs enough times.
Remy developed a general purpose turbo program which took a list of DLLs, might be worth checking out.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2022, 03:30:30 am »
I have to ask if this is supposed to work with my Ryzen Gen 3 processor system before I mess with a now working system.

I don't have one, so I can't say, for sure, but it is running better than I expected, on every machine that I have installed to See other posts about some operational problems (nothing really serious):
Asus A88XM-A, with A6 processor.
Asus M3A78-EM with quad core Phenom processor.
Lenovo ThinkPad L530 (Intel I5).
Lenovo ThinkPad T510 (Intel I5).
Dell Optiplex GX270, with a single processor. I have 3 GB of memory, and 1 GB is allocated to a RAMDISK. (I am posting from this one). It seems to get very slow, when some other program is running, but by itself, there isn't much difference in performance.

If you have a reasonable configuration, properly installed, with the Pentium4 platform configured for RPM/YUM, it should work. Note, that you can run Dooble alongside of Firefox, even at the same time. There is very little, if any interferrence. I expect that T'Bird, and Seamonkey, would be much the same. Be aware, that running then together can easily fragment upper shared memory space.

Of course, it is always a good idea to have a good backup.

nyao

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2022, 08:28:20 am »
Hi.All.
It can be used immediately after installation, but once it is closed, it will not be able to connect to the Internet.

Virtualbox6.1&ArcaOS5.0.7

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2022, 01:23:01 pm »
Hi All

I am currently trying Pauls gcc11 build which works reasonably well but suffers from the following problems. I suspect they are common to all current Dooble for OS/2 builds...

1] A tendency to simply close after a little use - seems very like the NSS problem suffered by Seamonkey/Firefox. Maybe this can be sorted in the same manner as Dave has with his recent Seamonkey/Firefox releases that sufffer less from this problem.

2] Unable to display a page loaded from History or Favourites lists - browser goes through the loading motions and seems convinced that the page is loaded but nothing is displayed. Copying the url from the "loaded" page to a new tab results in the new tab displaying that page content.

3] There does not seem to be any way of importing Bookmarks and Passwords.

4] Some keys seem to be ignored - definitely the Delete key and I am sure there was at least 1 other key but did not make a note at the time and have forgotten which key...
Aha! I see Doug has spotted the problem as wel,l it is the Insert key. He also notes that there is a problem with the Caps Lock key.

There are probably a few more problems to find...

Oh, Yes. A port of NoScript would be good - I suddenly find I am seeing adverts I did not know existed on lots of websites.

On the plus side: More websites work without problems compared to Seamonkey.

Thanks to all involved in the various ports of Dooble.

Regards

Pete

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2022, 07:39:03 pm »
People, I need help!
I have QT5 installed in arcanoa package manager and it is update. None of the stuff needed for Dooble that I need is listed on Netlabs  like Dave listed here earlier.

H:\tmp>yum provides qt5webw.dll
arcanoae-rel         | 1.9 kB  00:00
arcanoae-rel/primary |  20 kB  00:00
netlabs-exp          | 2.9 kB  00:00
netlabs-exp/primary_ | 239 kB  00:00
netlabs-rel          | 2.9 kB  00:00
netlabs-rel/primary_ | 2.6 MB  00:01       ] 949 kB/s | 2.4 MB  00:00 ETA
qt5-qtwebengine-5.15.2-1.oc00.pentium4 : Qt5 - QtWebEngine components
Repo        : netlabs-rel
Matched from:
Other       : qt5webw.dll

I 've installed Pauls .ZIP file and managed to get qt5-qtwebengine downloaded from ecsoft. But now running  yum install dooble.exe it says it can't find QT5WEBH.

To me it looks like maybe yum has problems. Is there any other place I can download the stuff Dave has listed?

Thanks for any ideas,  klipp
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 07:43:20 pm by R.M. Klippstein »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2022, 11:13:16 pm »
I have QT5 installed in arcanoa package manager and it is update. None of the stuff needed for Dooble that I need is listed on Netlabs  like Dave listed here earlier.

Can you give an example of a file that Dooble needs but is not listed at Netlabs? Remember that Dave's script contains names of dll-files, and that the corresponding package at Netlabs probably has a different name. Example from another thread: icuuc.dll needed to be updated, and that is contained in package libicu.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2022, 11:15:45 pm »
 Hi Klipp,

Try 'yum install qt5-qtwebchannel' first, then try 'yum install dooble' - see if that gets you any closer.

Regards,

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2022, 11:32:42 pm »
But now running  yum install dooble.exe it says it can't find QT5WEBH.

Oh, and 'yum install dooble.exe ' won't work, since there is no RPM-package 'dooble.exe'

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2022, 01:12:28 am »
Hi Dave, both yum install qt5-qtwebchannel and yum install dooble give the same result "No package qt5-qtwebchannel available" and "No package dooble available."

I've got tellie's dooable 1-53 installed but is older and has problems.

I thought all the stuff necessary was in Paul's .zip file. Thats where I got dooable.exe, it wanted qt5-qtwebengine and I got that drom ECSOFT site. then when I re ran dooble.exe it wants QT5WEBH. I assume thats a "lib" file but I cant find it anywhere.

Something seems screwed up with YUM rel&exp they have none of the stuff thats referenced on the web.

Hope this helps and THANKS for your help.

klipp.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2022, 01:27:15 am »
Hi Tom, and thanks for the help. The only thing /file? QT5WEBH and I get this from Paul's ZIP file
when running dooble after installing QT5-qtwebengine, it then wants QT5WEBH. Netlabs has nothing to offer!

klipp

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2022, 02:31:42 am »
Hi Klip, try running "yum clean all" then "yum install dooble" without the quotes.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2022, 04:15:49 am »
Hi klipp

I wonder if you are hitting the same problem I found: ANPM here was set as Platform i686 so the qtweb packages were not found. If so add P4 to the Platform - I moved it to the top. I then restarted ANPM and the "missing" qtweb packages appeared.

Regards

Pete

nyao

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2022, 02:44:45 pm »
Hi.ALL.
The problem of not being able to connect to the internet is resolved once you delete the .dooble folder, but once you exit, the same thing happens all over again.