Author Topic: Test build of dooble with qt5  (Read 123807 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Test build of dooble with qt5
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2022, 05:26:05 pm »
Hi.ALL.
The problem of not being able to connect to the internet is resolved once you delete the .dooble folder, but once you exit, the same thing happens all over again.

That's weird, wonder what is getting corrupted in the profile. What about if after deleting .dooble, you start the browser and exit without visiting any sites? The retry?

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2022, 10:15:32 pm »
Hey Pete, You;ve been Bailing me out for the last 15-20 years, now you have done it again, THANKS (again). All is well and impressive with this Dooable browser, needs work, but the basics are there. Thanks to all involved.!

klipp

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2022, 10:21:36 pm »
Hi klipp

Glad you got Dooble running - I cannot take any credit as Tom pointed me in the right direction a few days ago  :-)

Regards

Pete

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2022, 11:00:52 pm »
And today the dooble RPM has been moved from the Netlabs experimental repository to the Netlabs release repository.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2022, 12:15:33 am »
Dooble is unable to open my webpage without crashing....
https://remydodin.levillage.org

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2022, 12:46:38 am »

I disagree: at this very moment I am visiting your homepage at the URL mentioned, using Dooble for OS/2.
BTW: what are 'fird parties' ? ;)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2022, 01:21:32 am »
Likewise it opened here, though it took two attempts. Seems often Dooble doesn't load pages on the first try here, this time I pressed the home button (about:blank) and repasted the URL and it loaded fine.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2022, 11:36:57 am »

opened ok here.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2022, 04:41:50 pm »
Remy, You pager laded right up for me.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2022, 07:30:15 pm »
Good Morning Remy!

Just installed Dooble from ANPM this morning, on one of my AMD hexcore test systems and your site came up quickly, the first time and with no problems or crashes. On ArcaOS v5.0.7, latest Python 3 and QT5 files

I must say, guys, that after accessing a number of hard to reach sites for me here over the last hour that even this test build has been amazingly stable, testing wise, so far - don't know if thats good luck or good management.

Haven't tried anything with sound or video yet, but this has been a pleasure to use so far - very snappy response, after a short loading time for each website - still haven't examined any of the settings and preferences as of yet.

Will report back after I try this on a couple of other systems

My compliments to the people or team porting this and will be following this browser development with interest.

Best!

Mark

Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2022, 09:12:51 pm »
FWIW!  I'm running dccble in a virtual machine on Linux. Its been ungodly slow and really crappy finding web sites that will load, this is probably due to the fact  its running in a virtual machine.
I've never been able to load and use Os2World! Until NOW,now! I'm in Os2World and writing this. I accomplished this by bringing us dooable and then loading Google and then was able to load different sites and now have Os2Working. Hopefully this might other people have a better experience with dooable.

klipp

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2022, 09:42:29 pm »
Its been ungodly slow and really crappy finding web sites that will load, this is probably due to the fact  its running in a virtual machine.

It can be a little quirky in loading some previously visited sites, but a couple attempts usually loads a site.  I'm using VMware and performance is fine (4c, 4GB RAM), even with sites having a lot of media (e.g., Dailymail.co.uk).   The browser has been very stable.

I'm very impressed with the preview, especially when considering the few resources that have been supporting the development effort. 

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2022, 12:10:48 am »
Heh All!

After about three hours of testing today on the current preview version of Dooble, I thought I'd report my findings for the developers.

Again, I'd like to commend them on this current port as it is definitely faster, and works better on most sites tested than our current browsers, and has been pretty stable on most sites (had the browser exit on www.politico.com, related to the settings, otherwise fine.

However, I have a number of observations to share. And these are strictly on the basis of being a beta tester, which essentially what we are doing here at the moment.

1) The documentation, based on being a new user is very sketchy - while it describes the various functions present in the browser, it does not indicate the procedures as to how to use them.

2) Perhaps this is too early in the preview, but it seems there are limited control functions present to undertake the various activities in the menus - an example is adding links to the "Favourites" list so data is retained - I was finding it hard to determine how to do this. A lot of useful functions seem to be described, but it is not intuitive as to how to use them.

3) I could not find any settings or prefeerences in the menus I had access to, to retain the browser in the state it was prior to terminating the session. A lot of times I want to access the same websites and retain the same settings from the previous session when starting again - currently I have not found a way to do this

4) The Accepted / Blocked domains function seems like it could be enormously useful item, similat to Adblock, but it is very non-intuitive as to how it could be managed (as per 2) above). At one point OS2World cookies suddenly were added to Third Party Session Rejections, such that I could not access OS2World (blank browser tab) and there seemed no intuitive way to remove them from this section - I essentially did a reset of Dooble to start over

I'm sure I will find other comments to add as I undertake further beta tests - but just some constructive comments for the developers for the moment, to start.

Best of the weekend to all!

Mark
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2022, 12:31:05 am »
Hi Mark, to add favourites, click the star beside the URL entry thing.
There is no setting for restoring the previous session, there is the history.
The cookie support seems not too bad, but I notice things like having to log into os2world every time I start the browser.
Unluckily it is still a very basic browser, with I understand basically one guy developing it and there's a lot of stuff I miss compared to SeaMonkey with NoScript. It  does help to have a hosts file that blocks a lot of crap.

nyao

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2022, 04:15:48 am »
Hi.ALL.
The problem of not being able to connect to the internet is resolved once you delete the .dooble folder, but once you exit, the same thing happens all over again.

That's weird, wonder what is getting corrupted in the profile. What about if after deleting .dooble, you start the browser and exit without visiting any sites? The retry?
Hi.Dave.
If you exit without connecting to the site, you can connect after restarting.
However, you will have to delete the .dooble folder afterwards.
I have encountered the same problem in 3 different virtual environments and am surprised that there are no other reports.
I guess the settings of the code page for DBCS are different.