Author Topic: Test build of dooble with qt5  (Read 125491 times)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Test build of dooble with qt5
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2022, 06:47:28 pm »
Hi Pete,

The big problem is that a blocklist file is static whereas NoScript is dynamic - block or unblock on the fly, sometimes needed to be able to see what is on the site I get to because some of those sites are dynamic as well trying to get some of the junk past static filters.

The biggest problem with NoScript, is that it needs to be maintained.

Check out: https://alternate-dns.com/. I put those DNS servers into my router, and about 80% of ads never appear. When I add a hosts file, from https://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm (this hasn't been updated for quite a while, although the web site has been revamped), it gets rid of another 10%, and I don't need to do anything. The remaining ads are usually not the type that jump out and grab you by the throat. Since the DNS reference is in my router, all of my devices are protected, and I don't need to be bothered with it.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2022, 01:39:46 am »
To have a router that allowed changing the DNS server, Can't change mine as it pulls in the internet over LTE.
I use https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts updated yesterday and now  3.5 MB's in size. Wget pulls that fine. Even use it on my phone.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2022, 03:32:39 pm »
 With Dooble, you can also enable/disable Javascript globally in the settings on the 'Web' page, then enable/disable it page-by-page by right-clicking the page's tab at the top and checking/unchecking 'Javascript'...

Wayne A. Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2022, 08:22:04 pm »
Hi Wayne.
#3, You have to enable search engines by going to Tools-->Search Engines... check the search engines you want to use and click the Add Checked button so they show up in the lower pane of the Dooble:Search Engines window.
Unluckily searching from the URL bar is not implemented. What you can do is highlight some text, right click, and at the bottom of the context menu, choose Search Selected Text and then your search engine.
Otherwise create a favourite with your search engine and use that.
Dooble itself is much simpler then Firefox etc, and this is a preview version and actually works amazing well with little porting. Unluckily due to war, and funding, work on fixing these issues might not happen very quick and it is unlikely to ever have the features that Firefox has.

Thanks Dave.

It does help if one actually reads, doesn't it?  I noticed the "Add Checked" button but for some reason i didn't click in my mind.  I unchecked all except DuckDuckGo and Google, then clicked the button, and it of course added them in the lower pane.

It's amazing what one can do if they actually read things ...

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2022, 03:09:14 pm »
Hi Pete,

The big problem is that a blocklist file is static whereas NoScript is dynamic - block or unblock on the fly, sometimes needed to be able to see what is on the site I get to because some of those sites are dynamic as well trying to get some of the junk past static filters.

The biggest problem with NoScript, is that it needs to be maintained.

Check out: https://alternate-dns.com/. I put those DNS servers into my router, and about 80% of ads never appear. When I add a hosts file, from https://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm (this hasn't been updated for quite a while, although the web site has been revamped), it gets rid of another 10%, and I don't need to do anything. The remaining ads are usually not the type that jump out and grab you by the throat. Since the DNS reference is in my router, all of my devices are protected, and I don't need to be bothered with it.

The use of this big host file has will slowdown internet respons time du full list is search first.... 

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2022, 03:17:22 pm »
I Dooble compatible with ffturbo ? Open office quick start ?

always searching a way to be able to start Dooble without crahs and no one told me how to do to get the trap file when none is produced ?
No trap file available, no debug from what I understand... But no trap file generated no help to get one !

Where is otter browser ?

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2022, 03:34:30 pm »
Hi Remy,

I use both ffturbo and OO quickstart, and Dooble runs well here so I guess you can say it is compatible. Trap files usually end up in C:\var\log\apps on my system - look there for any you might have. Having the '*-debuginfo' rpm files installed for QT5 parts will also help get useful trap files.

Are you running with '--single-process' enabled in Dooble settings? It seems to be much more stable (and faster) that way.

Regards,

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2022, 01:11:17 pm »
Hi Remy,

I use both ffturbo and OO quickstart, and Dooble runs well here so I guess you can say it is compatible. Trap files usually end up in C:\var\log\apps on my system - look there for any you might have. Having the '*-debuginfo' rpm files installed for QT5 parts will also help get useful trap files.

Are you running with '--single-process' enabled in Dooble settings? It seems to be much more stable (and faster) that way.

Regards,

Hi David,

The path is not C:\var\log\app
Installed all QT5 debuginfo rpm package
Installed QT5 multimedia as well sockets

Tried dooble but it failed just before end of page is loaded, no trap files  no *dooble*.txt not *.trp)
Tried dooble --single-process but it failed and no trap files
Tried sh -c dooble.exe and it failed without any message

What next to get debugging elements ?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 01:20:53 pm by Remy »

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2022, 11:48:33 pm »
 Hi Remy,

It is very strange! I watched your video so I see what you mean. The only thing I have seen here anything like that is when I tried to open a private window ('Settings'->'New Private Window') - Dooble immediately closed with no trap file. Are you trying to run in 'Private' mode? Maybe this is a bug (although I reported this and was told it is not supported in '--single-process' mode and Dooble closed on purpose).

At this point we can only experiment - one thing I would try is removing or renaming the C:\Home\.dooble directory. There may be something corrupted in one of the settings files that would be fixed with a new one (created on first start). Of course any settings you may have made will be re-set, so be aware of that.

Also, strange there is no trap file (unless not really a trap) - are you certain 'exceptq' is properly installed? Try re-installing just in case. Also, look for old versions of exceptq.dll and distorm.dll (the 2 DLL's installed by the exceptq rpm) elsewhere on your system that may interfere.

If you upload a copy of 'testlog -c generic' I could compare that to mine and see if there are any obvious differences in installed packages that might give a clue if nothing else works.

Overall, I am very happy with Dooble - yes it has issues, but compared to Firefox issues, they are minor (for me anyway - I can use my Bank again!). I am able to once again navigate the Internet without having to resort to Windows or Linux...

Regards,

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2022, 03:46:17 am »
Hi Remy, try adding set EXCEPTQ=Z in your environment, easiest is in a cmd window, then start Dooble in the same cmd window and see if it generates a trp when it exits. If not, try set EXCEPTQ=ZZ.

jailbird

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2022, 04:38:26 am »
Has anybody figured out how to add a certificate to the trust store in Dooble? I'm trying to use AdGuard as a proxy in Dooble to help with the ads. I'm pretty sure I added the AdGuard certificate to OpenSSL's trust store correctly, but Dooble still complains about HTTPS connections, so obviously it is looking somewhere else for the trust store.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2022, 03:15:08 pm »
Hi Remy

I saw your video and was surprised to see Dooble crash almost immediately on opening a page. I never had Dooble crash that quick, I usually got at least 10 minutes use before it crashed. It does suggest a support package may not be at a required level. Checking my notes these are what I needed to update to extend Dooble uptime here

Replaced libcx and libgcc packages (pulls in gcc-stdc++-shared-library, libgcc-fwd, libssp, libssp-fwd, libstc++) with P4 versions- were i686

libicu is current release, libxslt is previous release - all P4 versions

The above resulted in Dooble running for around 30 to 40 minutes before crashing - without an exceptq log.

I updated pthread package to 0.2.6-1 P4 a couple of days ago and that seems to give me more Dooble "uptime" before Dooble simply disappears - watched a 45 minute video and browsed ebay for over 30 minutes without a crash, I actually closed the browser rather than it closing itself. Has not resolved the problem completely though as Dooble does still disappear without obvious cause.

When Dooble crashes there are no exceptq logs produced here - you can make Dooble produce a log by starting from the command line. Open a window in \usr\bin  - or wherever dooble.exe is located - and enter

dooble.exe 2>&1 | tee dooble.log

which should produce a dooble.log in the dooble.exe directory. Not sure if it will be of any use as the logs produced here seem to be full of javascript errors...

Looking at your video I also see your installation does something my Dooble cannot do: Open a webpage in the only tab after starting. Attempting to load a webpage from Favourites, History or entering a url results in Dooble loading the page but failing to display it - the page is loaded but blank! Usually takes opening another tab or 2 before I can get any webpage to load *and display* - and, No, using Reload does not display the content of the blank page.

Hmm... browsing ebay... seems some ebay options are simply not visible with Dooble unless you know where to put your mouse pointer and click. I am looking at this page  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=proac&_sacat=0  and notice the box that should display the List or Gallery view option is blank - that is the empty box to the right of the box containing the text Best Match. This is probably the same problem with SVG as mentioned in this discussion https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?topic=3058.msg34767

How do I get os2world forum to "remember me"? - I login with the Forever option but next time I visit I have to login...

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2022, 04:15:22 pm »
How do I get os2world forum to "remember me"? - I login with the Forever option but next time I visit I have to login...

Go to settings-->Privacy and change the cookie policy to save all

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2022, 04:58:35 pm »
Dave that is the only thing that resetting the cookies will not work on my system. I can't log in If I wish to post or anything I have to use Firefox (your last build).

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2022, 07:43:53 pm »
Dave that is the only thing that resetting the cookies will not work on my system. I can't log in If I wish to post or anything I have to use Firefox (your last build).

You probably also need to use File-> Authentication, which makes the whole thing more difficult. I have just been entering the login information, for OS2world, and it works as well as anything else does.

It is a learning curve, and the rules are not quite the same as what we are used to.

@Dave (or anybody else): You seem to have this figured out. How do you get it to ask for authentication when you log into Dooble? How can you make more than one profile (if you want to)? Is there a way to automatically enter authentication?