Author Topic: Dooble: Websites / WebApps Testing  (Read 16450 times)

mauro

• View Profile
Re: Dooble: Websites / WebApps Testing
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2022, 06:16:34 pm »

You need a newer libcx. Looking, I have the i686 version, 0.7.2.-1 installed so I guess no shmem. Bitwise seems to have used the newest Pentium 4 version. Update libc too.

updated libcx to the available P4 version.  libc showed no update, and was already at the latest P4 version.
The main result is that now I cannot use ANPM anymore, it crashes just after started when searching for database package list.
Have to restore the previous vm picture,  just made before this attempt.

ADDENDUM: now just reinstalled everything back (dooble + libcx update) on the restored  previous vm version.   ANPM seems to work, while running dooble this is the new error message "....QT5WEBC ->ICUUC.__ZN3icu6Locale14forLanguageTagENS_11StringPieceER10UE is in error. For additional detalied informations type...."
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 07:02:16 pm by mauro »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2022, 06:54:31 pm »
I installed, from netlabs-rel. Install was good, and it didn't need many additional packages. I do need to change the font settings (as described elsewhere). I am pretty pleased with Dooble, but it is more like Alpha level software.

The Delete key, and the Insert key are completely ignored. Spell check doesn't seem to work.

Favorites only has 4 lines, and I haven't found a place to increase that (top to bottom, of the window, would be good). It would be nice if the Favorites window would automatically close after a selection is made.

I have avoided the Authentication stuff, so far, and it is working reasonably well.

Things like the logon for the OS2WORLD web site, need to be entered at every access to the site, which is somewhat annoying, although it isn't always needed. I expect that that is some sort of cookie thing.

I would like to import my Firefox bookmarks. I exported them to a HTML file, but Dooble File-> Open file doesn't work, so I haven't found a way to get into it.

Search is not intuitive. To get to the search window, you need to highlight something in a web page, then RMB to get the popup menu, then select Search selected text (and that doesn't always work). I use DUCKDUCKGO for searching. I went to duckduckgo.com, and added that page to my Favorites. It can be set as the home page, but then you need to see their advertizing (not a real problem).

I  am seeing some letters missing, at the top of: https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca. This could have something to do with font selection, but it is the only page, so far, where I see it.

Is there a way to stop videos from playing when I open a web page? I find that to be very annoying.

Dooble does work with my bank, which is good.

More later...

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2022, 07:09:37 pm »
You need to update your icuuc.dll (included in package libicu) to the latest version (68.1.1)

ADDENDUM: now just reinstalled everything back (dooble + libcx update) on the restored  previous vm version.   ANPM seems to work, while running dooble this is the new error message "....QT5WEBC ->ICUUC.__ZN3icu6Locale14forLanguageTagENS_11StringPieceER10UE is in error. For additional detalied informations type...."
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 07:28:26 pm by Tom »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2022, 07:17:06 pm »
But at the location of the language files is also a file README that says:

"The Translations directory must reside in the directory which houses the Dooble
executable.

The environment variable DOOBLE_TRANSLATIONS_PATH may also be used. The variable
should be set to the absolute path of the Translations directory."

And the directory for the Dooble executable is \usr\bin ...

You could try using \usr\share as the location for the translations subdirectory and have DOOBLE_TRANSLATIONS_PATH point to that.

Well, that's a curious location for translation files. Common place such files would be /usr/share.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2022, 01:16:58 am »
Hi Doug, the Weather network page looks fine here besides a white square where perhaps an auto playing video should be. Busy page too. I usually use Environment Canada's weather page.
Luckily my bank and Credit Union work fine with SeaMonkey and my Credit Union has worked with Mozilla since about version 1, it was the last site I needed Netscape for :)
For auto-playing videos, guess a host file is one of our only choices currently, I use Steven Black's and need to update it, worked with,
Code: [Select]
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts

Perhaps need to check with Lewis how well Privoxy is working now and figure out how to use a proxy with Dooble, probably an environmental variable.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2022, 03:34:19 am »
The Delete key, and the Insert key are completely ignored. Spell check doesn't seem to work.

Add to that: Pressing the Caps Lock key, causes the cursor to go the beginning of the current line (as well as turning on Caps Lock). There seems to be some serious problems with keyboard support.

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2022, 10:58:37 am »
But at the location of the language files is also a file README that says:

"The Translations directory must reside in the directory which houses the Dooble
executable.

The environment variable DOOBLE_TRANSLATIONS_PATH may also be used. The variable
should be set to the absolute path of the Translations directory."

And the directory for the Dooble executable is \usr\bin ...

You could try using \usr\share as the location for the translations subdirectory and have DOOBLE_TRANSLATIONS_PATH point to that.

Well, that's a curious location for translation files. Common place such files would be /usr/share.
Thanks, Tom, but I already knew this ;-)
Still, it's a curious location on a Unix based system. On my Mac, I had to put things in the same place, which you normally wouldn't do.
I think, this stems from the Windows portable feature.
Still, it would be nice, if the application would test for the standard os paths.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 10:07:21 am by Jochen Schäfer »

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2022, 11:52:48 am »
After several tests, Dooble is not usable for me...

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2022, 12:14:33 pm »
 Dave,

Proxy setup is at Settings -> Privacy near the bottom. Tried a Socks5 proxy with Paul's build of Tor - works great!

Regards,

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2022, 08:53:46 pm »
One thing  would like to point out is tha Dooble is preview version. Not a finished product or Beta. So don't get too negative with it.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2022, 02:27:53 am »
Hi

I just wanted to test some of the x86 emulators on the browser.
- Halfix x86 Emulator does not work. https://nepx.github.io/halfix-demo/
- Virtual x86 does not work - https://copy.sh/v86/

Just wanted to push the browser a little bit.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2022, 03:35:00 am »
Hi Martin, they both sorta work here. Booting something small does succeed, booting OS/2 on halfix-demo crashed the operating system. Mouse is weird on Win95 and Win3.1 with v86 but once I figured it out, I played solitaire on Win3.1.
One problem is the JavaScript engine sometimes seems to stall. Another is likely memory and why OS/2 crashed my computer.
Also tested the export to png thing, it seems to have worked.
Edit: Seems to only have captured the bottom half of the browser window.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 03:36:31 am by Dave Yeo »