Author Topic: Smaller OS/2 booting  (Read 6492 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Smaller OS/2 booting
« on: January 10, 2014, 03:39:13 pm »
I remembered that sometime ago I tried see what can be the smaller OS/2 implementation and try to see which are OS/2's vitals files, just for fun.

So, what I did, I installed OS/2 Warp 4.52 on a Virtual Machine and installed it without anything.

After that I tried to delete all the files possible with the objective that OS/2 will only boot and give the me a WPS environment. With Mouse and Keyboard working and the basic WPS (e.exe, warpcenter and cdrom, floppy support was kept for sentimental reasons)

Sure, maybe this version of OS/2 it is not usable, no TCP/IP, no MMOS2, nothing interesting on it, nada...., but it was only an exercise to see which was the vital files of the system.  This VM would no even support a  reboot since the check disk stuff is not there.

Later I tried to see which files already had some open source replacement or can be easily replaced, and marked them with green, according to my knowledge.

Look at my spreadsheet.

If you know any other open source replacement to this files/components please let me know.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:58:14 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.