Author Topic: ANPM trashed my system  (Read 8881 times)

Keith Marjerison

• View Profile
ANPM trashed my system
« on: April 29, 2022, 07:08:44 pm »
I recently tried YUM Tools Update in ANPM, it worked for a while downloading packages and installing, then there was an error message on 1 package and ANPM asked me to shut it down and reboot. So I did, upon reboot ANPM would start but I would get a rexx console error and no packages would display in the installed or available packages folders. Firefox will not start any more. I looked for a log file but am not sure what I am looking for.
Any way out of this?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: ANPM trashed my system
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 07:44:33 pm »
Hi Keith.

Do you get any extra errors from ANPM? You can upload the error image here.

If you try a "yum update" on your command line, is there something else missing to update? Can you check that?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Keith Marjerison

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 09:18:02 pm »
Used /DEB switch on ANPM.EXE and copied output to anpm.log which I have attached along with a picture of the error messages without the /DEB switch.
Nothing happens when running yum update from command line. ie no output.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 09:22:35 pm »
I recently tried YUM Tools Update in ANPM, it worked for a while downloading packages and installing, then there was an error message on 1 package and ANPM asked me to shut it down and reboot. So I did, upon reboot ANPM would start but I would get a rexx console error and no packages would display in the installed or available packages folders. Firefox will not start any more. I looked for a log file but am not sure what I am looking for.
Any way out of this?

In ArcaOS, the logs are in : C:\var\log\yum.log (or, wherever your log files go for other versions of OS/2).

I have seen variations on this, while testing packages from experimental repositories. I don't remember what was needed to recover. A picture of the console error may help.

Keith Marjerison

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 10:55:37 pm »
Since this happened I have tried, Restoring my C: drive did not help because my unixroot=E:. Renamed E:\usr to OLDuser and copied usr from ArcaOS 1.05 test install to E:. Now ANPM starts but there is nothing in installed and only a few in available.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 11:03:27 pm »
I recently tried YUM Tools Update in ANPM, it worked for a while downloading packages and installing, then there was an error message on 1 package and ANPM asked me to shut it down and reboot.
(...)
I looked for a log file but am not sure what I am looking for.
Any way out of this?

First question that comes to my mind: what was the name of the package that caused the error message? Do you remember that?

The log file should be in \var\log and is named anpm.log. Can you attach that file to your post?

Next step would be to narrow down which component is now failing: is it anpm? Or is it yum or rpm or python? Or one of the support packages that is needed by the components mentioned. That Firefox won't start, suggests that is one of the support packages.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 11:06:53 pm by Tom »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 01:26:39 am »
Since this happened I have tried, Restoring my C: drive did not help because my unixroot=E:. Renamed E:\usr to OLDuser and copied usr from ArcaOS 1.05 test install to E:. Now ANPM starts but there is nothing in installed and only a few in available.

You could start over. Move \usr, \var and \etc out of the way, might have to go to \usr\lib and do unlock *.dll to move \usr. The start ANPM, it should download the bootstrap and install it. After rebooting when it asks, things should be working and you have the fun of installing everything else.
Usually these kind of problems can be traced to Python problems, the fact that Firefox won't start points to NSS being the problem

Keith Marjerison

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 01:29:45 am »
This happened a while back and I'm old, but I think it was the highmem package.
When trying to do the yum tools update it would stop on this, reference 20220428_215351.jpg, so it looks like a python2.7 problem.

Keith Marjerison

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 01:31:09 am »
should be clipboard.jpg

Keith Marjerison

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 01:41:59 am »
I can boot to ArcaOS and rename those folders to OLDuser OLDvar OLDetc and then restart eCS.
I'll give it a try when I have some time. I'll save that for last.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 10:23:26 am »
I can boot to ArcaOS and rename those folders to OLDuser OLDvar OLDetc and then restart eCS.
I'll give it a try when I have some time. I'll save that for last.

Ah, so you are using ANPM on an eCS-system.

In that case you should follow some extra instructions that are listed on the Arca Noae website.
See the paragraph "Important note for systems with non-updated RPM/YUM" at the bottom of the webpage for the Arca Noae Package Manager. There it mentions that you have to take some precautions before running a "YUM | Update all" in case you do a fresh install of ANPM or if you have an empty package list when you start ANPM.

I followed them on my eCS-system and have had no problems after that. See https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/anpm/non-updated-systems/

Keith Marjerison

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 09:47:49 pm »
I had already upgraded from YUM/RPM to ANPM and used it for years without this problem.
I will remove my etc, usr, and var directories and uninstall the ANPM package and reboot and reinstall into cleaned out directory, and then follow those directions. I'll get back to you.

Keith Marjerison

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2022, 11:23:39 pm »
That did not work. i still end up with nothing in Installed and only a couple of packages in Available.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2022, 11:44:16 pm »
Hi Keith.

I wrote this article about reinstalling RPM/YUM and ANPM, maybe you can get some hints there.
- RPM:_Switching_from_i686_to_Pentium4

Just in case, check if you are using ANPM 1.0.7. - https://repos.arcanoae.com/anpm/anpm_1_0_7.exe

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2022, 12:39:42 am »
If the re-install procedure didn't work, there's likely a conflicting DLL installed somewhere, perhaps a libc one.