Author Topic: Apache Open Office 4.1.8 Crash  (Read 10607 times)

Wayne A. Smith

• View Profile
Apache Open Office 4.1.8 Crash
« on: May 05, 2022, 11:34:48 pm »
I yesterday tried to open <dooble.odt> in AOO, but it caused it to crash.  Speculating that it was possibly due to a variant ODT version or the download was corrupted, I today tried to open an ODT file composed in the Windows version of AOO, but it caused a crash also.

Though I have not used the OS/2 version of AOO recently, but been forced to use the Windows version due to the absence of a browser that could adequately open certain sites, my recollection is that AOO 4.1.8, or at least one of its earlier versions, ran w/out problem on my machine.

I am using ArcaOS 5.0.2 on a ThinkPad T540p w/ 8192 Mb and a CPU Speed of 2.60 GHz, and have version 4.1.8 of AOO installed on it.

I attach the most-recent log files generated by the last crash.  From the time stamps it appears they were generated concurrently.  (Looking at the one file I noted the reference to <ICUUC.DLL> but it is installed in the proper directory.)

Any ideas?

Wayne A. Smith

• View Profile
Re: Apache Open Office 4.1.8 Crash
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 11:36:29 pm »
As an addendum to my preceding post, this occurred after installation of Dooble.  However, since ANPM only indicated the EXE file was being installed, I can't conceive that this necessarily was a cause.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 01:43:30 am »
I suspect it is a dll clash.  For some reason the latest available dlls don't appear to be backwards compatible with the older versions. 

It is the reason that I am very reluctant to use rpm/yum to 'update' my working system.  If push comes to shove I will download the rpm files, unpack them, move the new dlls to a dll directory on the path and libpath then see what is broken - if everything keeps on working they get moved to their final resting place, if something is broken those dlls are removed, computer restarted and I am back to square one.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 08:46:29 am »
You just have to install the previous version of libicu
saludos

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 01:58:44 pm »
Hi Wayne

After updating lots of packages in order to try Dooble I found AOO 4.1.7 would no longer start - splash screen shows then app exited.

I initially thought libicu need backleveling but that did not cure the problem.

Then I remembered from trying SimpleBrowser that libxslt is also a possible problem. Sure enough, backleveling libxslt to 1.1.32-1(oc00) resolved the problem - currently using libicu 68.1-1 without problems.

Regards

Pete

« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 02:38:26 pm by Pete »

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 03:55:23 pm »
Then I remembered from trying SimpleBrowser that libxslt is also a possible problem. Sure enough, backleveling libxslt to 1.1.32-1(oc00) resolved the problem - currently using libicu 68.1-1 without problems.

Pete
Hi Pete
When trying to return to that Libxslt version to 1.1.32-1 (OC00) it did not allow me.
And I found a file called xslt-config, edit the file and on line 19 change:
   "          add--        Dynamic to Print Only Shared Libraries"
For this
   "--add        Dynamic to Print Only Shared Libraries"
Reinstall the Libicu 68.1-1 without problems. Yes all ok.

Cheers

Wayne A. Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 05:02:19 pm »
Thanks to all for the suggestions.  The idea of a DLL conflict vaguely crossed my mind but I was not sure.

Now all I have to do is find the older versions ...  Fortunately though I have used the Indexing feature for all of my DFSee Image backups, so ought to be able to extract the older DLL(s) from a sufficiently old Image and replace the current one(s) at issue w/ it(them).

Or is there an easier way?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 05:12:35 pm »
Yum downgrade icu will work, easier by right clicking in ANPM and choose "get specific release" which gives more choices. The only potential problem is dependencies.
There's also the zips available at netlabs.
Could move the needed dowhgraded DLL to the OO directory and use run! or a script to load the DLL's first
Note that running Dooble and OO at the same time is going to be close to using all your memory

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 06:48:56 pm »
Hi roberto

I would give that a try except I do not seem to have a xslt-config file anywhere...
What directory did you find the file in?

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 06:53:09 pm »

Yeah. Get AOO 4.1.11, and update it properly. If you ever paid for AOO (you must have, since you have 4.1.8), you are entitled to updates. You probably need to rattle BWW's chain to get it though, or be nice, and donate (pay) for it again.

Wayne A. Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 08:51:22 pm »

Yeah. Get AOO 4.1.11, and update it properly. If you ever paid for AOO (you must have, since you have 4.1.8), you are entitled to updates. You probably need to rattle BWW's chain to get it though, or be nice, and donate (pay) for it again.

Duh ...  I must be _way behind_ on reading notices of updates ...  or just slow in installing the update stored somewhere on one of the computers ...

Yeah, I think a new donation - I've made more than one IIRC - is worth it; and in any event BWW is entitled to some more money for the work they do.  I'll get off a new donation shortly.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 08:55:25 pm »
What directory did you find the file in?
c:\usr\bin

I understand what you say that this XLST-Config file can I eliminate it?

Saludos

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 09:27:13 pm »
Hi roberto

No, Ii definitely do not have that file anywhere.
Possibly an application created that file on your system so *before* deleting make a backup somewhere.

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2022, 01:28:59 am »
Hi roberto

No, Ii definitely do not have that file anywhere.
Possibly an application created that file on your system so *before* deleting make a backup somewhere.

Regards

Pete

It's probably part of xslt-devel as it is used by configure scripts and such and I do have it. If you're not building anything that uses xslt, you can delete it or remove the xslt-devel package

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2022, 03:17:47 am »
"Buyer beware" though...

I went down this path, deployed 4.1.11 with all the appropriate pre-requisite RPM package updates....only to find out that 4.1.11 turned out to be abysmally slow openning up any of my spreadsheets, as well as few other documents.

We are talking 3x as long as the previous 4.1.7 version at least. So I went back to 4.1.7 as I have far too many spreadsheets that I open up for a few minutes at a time only and the wait was simply bothering me too much! (spoiled...??? LOL..maybe)