Author Topic: Apache Open Office 4.1.8 Crash  (Read 10608 times)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Apache Open Office 4.1.8 Crash
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2022, 07:15:03 pm »
I went down this path, deployed 4.1.11 with all the appropriate pre-requisite RPM package updates....only to find out that 4.1.11 turned out to be abysmally slow openning up any of my spreadsheets, as well as few other documents.

Personally, I think 4.1.11 opens spredsheets (and other things) faster than the older versions. Use Appache OpenOffice Quick Start, with the "-calc" (and others as needed) parameter, in a startup folder, and it will open quickly. AOO 4.1.11 fixed a couple of other problems, for me. It still has some problems because of our antique JAVA, but performance is quite good. You should also use the Extras-> Enable High mem tool, to mark, at least code (I use code&data) to load high. Loading high can have problems unloading if you don't have the ArcaOS fixed kernel (only licensed for use with ArcaOS). Using Quick Start helps to work aeound that problem too, because it keeps the code from unloading.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2022, 02:32:40 pm »
Hi Doug!

I went down this path, deployed 4.1.11 with all the appropriate pre-requisite RPM package updates....only to find out that 4.1.11 turned out to be abysmally slow openning up any of my spreadsheets, as well as few other documents.

Personally, I think 4.1.11 opens spredsheets (and other things) faster than the older versions. Use Appache OpenOffice Quick Start, with the "-calc" (and others as needed) parameter, in a startup folder, and it will open quickly...

All excellent pointers on what I would have to agee defines the pre-requisites for most optimal setup. I did actually do all of the above (normally my AOO is configured to LH), I do not use the 'Quick Start' functionality, but in this case I gave it a go just to be sure.

In my testing I went through multiple configurations, clean re-boot (to baseline the DLL loads, etc.) and literally noted the timing in both cases: 1) open an existing spreadsheet, 2) open just the app (Calc). 4.1.11 was literally 3x slower in all instances. The weird part was that my CPU meter would show on-going multiple spikes during the load, sort of like what I used to occasinally see with FF after several days of use and massive memory consumption (typically over 1G), but this would occur on a freshly re-booted machine, with literally gobs of free memory available.

Anyways, it'll be 4.1.7 here until the next version is released and I'll give that a go.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2022, 08:48:53 pm »
I think I would be looking for duplicate copies of DLLs, in places where they shouldn't be.

Wayne A. Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2022, 04:37:35 am »

Personally, I think 4.1.11 opens spredsheets (and other things) faster than the older versions. Use Appache OpenOffice Quick Start, with the "-calc" (and others as needed) parameter, in a startup folder, and it will open quickly. AOO 4.1.11 fixed a couple of other problems, for me. It still has some problems because of our antique JAVA, but performance is quite good. You should also use the Extras-> Enable High mem tool, to mark, at least code (I use code&data) to load high. Loading high can have problems unloading if you don't have the ArcaOS fixed kernel (only licensed for use with ArcaOS). Using Quick Start helps to work aeound that problem too, because it keeps the code from unloading.

The ReadMe for 4.1.11 states "Do not install this version over an existing installation."  I do not recall whether the same warning was diaplayed when I installed 4.1.8 - possibly over a previous version.

Did you uninstall or delete your previous version before installing 4.1.11?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2022, 06:57:05 am »
The ReadMe for 4.1.11 states "Do not install this version over an existing installation."  I do not recall whether the same warning was diaplayed when I installed 4.1.8 - possibly over a previous version.

Did you uninstall or delete your previous version before installing 4.1.11?

The 4.1.8 version did say that. I suspect that it means don't install over a pre 4.x version, but it is painless to follow directions (and less likely that you will be refused help if it doesn't work for some reason). Since you likely installed it using WarpIN, use WarpIN to uninstall it. It is probably a good idea to install all of the requirements, before installing AOO 4.1.11. Leave your data where it is.

I have installed over the older 4.x versions (on a test system), with no troubles, but that isn't what the instructions say.