Author Topic: OS/4 kernel does not support tracing related statements in config.sys  (Read 6778 times)

Lars

• View Profile
OS/4 kernel does not support the TRACE and TRACEBUF statements. It displays that these statements are not valid and continues to boot (the same holds true for VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT but I guess that was intentional).
This is even true with the OS/4 debug as well as retail kernels.
This is a serious limitation because for example it's the only way for David's / my USB drivers to log operational info on a user's end machine. Without any tracing, it's impossible to determine why a driver won't work on a user's machine (except for flat HW traps which can be located by other means).
Again, this renders the OS/4 kernel incompatible with the existing OS/2 kernels.

Lars

ff4

Re: OS/4 kernel does not support tracing related statements in config.sys
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 06:42:14 pm »
It would be easier when you wont start a new thread when there is already one containing the same information. The current state of strace is the one that you already see on your system - its not working and at the moment not supported. This means debugging with a com terminal is required.

dbanet

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:33:23 pm »
OS/4 kernel does not support the TRACE and TRACEBUF statements. It displays that these statements are not valid and continues to boot (the same holds true for VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT but I guess that was intentional).
This is even true with the OS/4 debug as well as retail kernels.
This is a serious limitation because for example it's the only way for David's / my USB drivers to log operational info on a user's end machine. Without any tracing, it's impossible to determine why a driver won't work on a user's machine (except for flat HW traps which can be located by other means).
Again, this renders the OS/4 kernel incompatible with the existing OS/2 kernels.

Lars

STRACE support is discontinued in Phoenix kernel.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:54:51 pm »
1) STRACE is something different than TRACE. STRACE performance tracing is not all that important. But ordinary tracing via TRACE is important.

2) getting COM output via serial port is not a viable replacement for tracing. How will I get output from an end customer's system ? Asking the customer to create a COM port log ? He is just going to show me the stiff little finger ...

Why do you think did I add tracing to the USB drivers ?

Lars

dbanet

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 11:10:37 pm »
1) STRACE is something different than TRACE. STRACE performance tracing is not all that important. But ordinary tracing via TRACE is important.

2) getting COM output via serial port is not a viable replacement for tracing. How will I get output from an end customer's system ? Asking the customer to create a COM port log ? He is just going to show me the stiff little finger ...

Why do you think did I add tracing to the USB drivers ?

Lars
Well, I think, TRACE support is dicountinued too.

You may talk to the OS/4 developers on the #os2russian channel of the efnet IRC network.