Author Topic: VirtualBox shared clipboard not working from ArcaOS guests  (Read 4591 times)

Bennie Nelson

• View Profile
With the latest versions of VirtualBox, the shared clipboard no longer works from the ArcaOS guests. Has anyone else seen this? Since I've started using my own installer for the Guest Additions, I'm wondering if there is some issue there.

Thanks,
Bennie Nelson

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Re: VirtualBox shared clipboard not working from ArcaOS guests
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 11:47:29 pm »
It's working for me in latest Virtualbox. I'm probably running very old additions though as I'm lazy :)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 06:12:08 pm »
With the latest versions of VirtualBox, the shared clipboard no longer works from the ArcaOS guests. Has anyone else seen this? Since I've started using my own installer for the Guest Additions, I'm wondering if there is some issue there.

I tried with VBox 6.1.34. First, with an older additions (not sure which one), then after installing the matching release. Both work as expected.

Win 10 host, and ArcaOS 5.0.4 guest. In VBox settings General-> Advanced, Shared Clipboard is Bidirectional.

Anything in POPUPLOG.OS2?

Bennie Nelson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 03:34:39 pm »

I tried with VBox 6.1.34. First, with an older additions (not sure which one), then after installing the matching release. Both work as expected.

Win 10 host, and ArcaOS 5.0.4 guest. In VBox settings General-> Advanced, Shared Clipboard is Bidirectional.

Anything in POPUPLOG.OS2?
The Shared Clipboard does not work to/from ArcaOS 5.0.7 on both Redhat 8.6 and Windows 7 running VB 6.1.34. There is nothing in POPUPLOG.OS2.

I noticed that the libc06*.dll files are now in \usr\lib even though the OS2 guest additions readme says to put them in \os2\dll. I have tried two sets of libc06 dlls. One set is dated 8/26/21 and the other is dated 3/23/22 from GA 6.1.34. I tried replacing the 8/26 set with the latest and ArcaMapper stopped working. It also made no difference with the clipboard. So I'm back to the 8/26 set.

Bennie

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 05:28:26 pm »
The readme is out of date as well as the libc DLL's that come with the additions.
You want to remove any in \os2\dll and only use the ones in \usr\lib.
Also note that the latest is libcn0.dll and the other libc06*.dll's are forwarders and need to be at the same level.

Bennie Nelson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 07:46:40 pm »
The readme is out of date as well as the libc DLL's that come with the additions.
Also note that the latest is libcn0.dll and the other libc06*.dll's are forwarders and need to be at the same level.
Dave,

Thanks for the additional information. I was not aware of the connection between libcn0.dll and libc06*.dll. Since the Guest Additions for OS2 do not include libcn0.dll, then we shouldn't be using the libc06*.dll files from the Guest Additions CDROM image.

Bennie

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 10:00:28 pm »
Dave,

Thanks for the additional information. I was not aware of the connection between libcn0.dll and libc06*.dll. Since the Guest Additions for OS2 do not include libcn0.dll, then we shouldn't be using the libc06*.dll files from the Guest Additions CDROM image.

Bennie

Libcn is a fork of libc as Knut who officially maintains libc has no time for it but requested that if anyone took over maintainence of libc to change the name of it. The forwarder DLLs are so that older programs benefit from libc updates and bug fixes. Example is the recent (last year?) DST break, when it was fixed, all programs using any libc6* version benefited and once again understood daylight savings time, important for mailers.