OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

Old problem.. any known solution ? (American Heritage Dictionary by DUX)

(1/7) > >>

Glenn:
Hi all, when trying to run the good old American Heritage Dictionary (published by DUX) on ArcaOS 5.0.7, I get a SYS3175 with PMMERGE.DLL, the app does not start. Googling for that error gives many results with people mentioning similar problems. There are also patched versions of PMMERGE.DLL but all much older than the current ArcaOS version, that may or may not have integrated this patched version. IIRC this problem happened with eCS too but not with the original Warp 4.

Was there a known solution / workaround to be able to start such programs on current versions of the OS?

Roderick Klein:
If you have such an issue I think its best if you open a ticket at Arca Noae on mantis.arcanoae.com. This will require you to upload a testlog. Do not backlevel pmmerge.dll to an older version as that will introduce other issue's.

If you are lucky then based on the popuplog.os2 entry and with the SYM file of pmmerge.dll somebody might be able to determine what function it crashes it. That might give a hint. But this trick does not always work.

Roderick Klein

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Glenn

I don't have the American Heritage Dictionary by DUX, but the only thing I had seen is that there are two patches at hobbes, but I'm not sure if those are for the same thing you are using? Those are patches for DUX.EXE.

Regards

Glenn:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on May 15, 2022, 07:06:47 pm ---Hi Glenn

I don't have the American Heritage Dictionary by DUX, but the only thing I had seen is that there are two patches at hobbes, but I'm not sure if those are for the same thing you are using? Those are patches for DUX.EXE.

Regards

--- End quote ---
Unfortunately the remedy is worse than the problem: instead of just not starting the application, applying these patches causes the app to somehow start minimized (can see the program in lSwitcher) but also to hang the WPS - I have to use TOP to kill the app AND reset the WPS before I can regain control on the system...

Pete:
Hi Glenn

Are you using a multiprocessor system? - Just wondering if using markexe.exe (from os/2 toolkit) to "mark" the executable (dux.exe ?) as mpunsafe will help...

Regards

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version