Author Topic: Hang during boot at chkdsk - cause was - Win formated unrelated NTFS partition  (Read 4462 times)

Andi B.

• View Profile
I just had a curious problem with my T540p. I've different eCS / OS/2 / ArcaOS installation next to Win10/7 on this Thinkpad. I now decided to make an additional NTFS partition available for Win and never thought this will lead to such catastrophic problem. Steps I did -
- booted OS/2 and with DFSee I created a new NTFS partition in den middle of the disk where there was some free space
- booted W10 and formated the newly partition with NTFS

A few days afterwards I wanted to boot one of the OS/2 partitions. But booting hangs after checking drive E:. Drive D: was checked before but the other JFS partitions afterwards were not checked (M: V: L: T: O: R: P: ...). The system simply hangs.

As all my installations do have JFS /autocheck:* I can't start any of the installed systems. Moreover this system can't be booted by the ArcaOS stick (known issue for this T540p). I can't boot from an old eCS CD too. I also didn't find any ALT-F1 cmd line working. What works was booting DOS from DFSee stick and changes partition type of the partition AFTER the new NTFS partition from 06 (FAT) to 07 and fix/align the one partition AFTER the NTFS one.

I think when I formated the NTFS partition from W10 this does also overwrite some stuff of the next partition behind. Or at least crippled some of the partition info of all these logical partitions. And afterwards OS/2 can't handle that and simply stopped booting. Although I do all my partitioning stuff with DFSee, Win always finds some way to destroy something. Or say it in other words, does some alignment on the disk which OS/2 can't deal with.

Now I've my systems booting again as usual. But I can't access the partition after the NTFS one anymore. Probably I've to delete it. Never thought that a simple format from W10 of an already aligned partition (with DFSee running from OS/2) can make such damage. Maybe I should let some gap around OS/2 partitions in future whenever I prepare a partition for Win.

ivan

• View Profile
Hi Andi,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune but it was rather foolish to let win 10 anywhere near another OS.  I have a lone salvaged PC that has win 7 on it because a data logger I use only has a win interface.  I have been given a couple of laptops one of which had win 10 installed (lenovo ideapad) and the first thing I did was to kill win and install Linux mint.  I am thinking I might install ArcaOS if they ever release the UEFI version.

I have also had several friends bring their laptops with win 10 installed as an update that messed up everything they had there for me to fix.  I am dreading a rush of win 11 machines because I know of several laptops (HONOR MagicBook 16 and others) appeared as Christmas presents.

Remy

• View Profile
I just had a curious problem with my T540p. I've different eCS / OS/2 / ArcaOS installation next to Win10/7 on this Thinkpad. I now decided to make an additional NTFS partition available for Win and never thought this will lead to such catastrophic problem. Steps I did -
- booted OS/2 and with DFSee I created a new NTFS partition in den middle of the disk where there was some free space
- booted W10 and formated the newly partition with NTFS

A few days afterwards I wanted to boot one of the OS/2 partitions. But booting hangs after checking drive E:. Drive D: was checked before but the other JFS partitions afterwards were not checked (M: V: L: T: O: R: P: ...). The system simply hangs.

As all my installations do have JFS /autocheck:* I can't start any of the installed systems. Moreover this system can't be booted by the ArcaOS stick (known issue for this T540p). I can't boot from an old eCS CD too. I also didn't find any ALT-F1 cmd line working. What works was booting DOS from DFSee stick and changes partition type of the partition AFTER the new NTFS partition from 06 (FAT) to 07 and fix/align the one partition AFTER the NTFS one.

I think when I formated the NTFS partition from W10 this does also overwrite some stuff of the next partition behind. Or at least crippled some of the partition info of all these logical partitions. And afterwards OS/2 can't handle that and simply stopped booting. Although I do all my partitioning stuff with DFSee, Win always finds some way to destroy something. Or say it in other words, does some alignment on the disk which OS/2 can't deal with.

Now I've my systems booting again as usual. But I can't access the partition after the NTFS one anymore. Probably I've to delete it. Never thought that a simple format from W10 of an already aligned partition (with DFSee running from OS/2) can make such damage. Maybe I should let some gap around OS/2 partitions in future whenever I prepare a partition for Win.

testdisk tool is able to recover partition but I didn't try it for OS/2 partitions yet.

roberto

• View Profile
I believe that Win with your updates can modify your BIOS, I spend on a portable IDEAPD Z710, but I don't remember what modifies.
saludos

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Hi Andi,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune but it was rather foolish to let win 10 anywhere near another OS.  I have a lone salvaged PC that has win 7 on it because a data logger I use only has a win interface.  I have been given a couple of laptops one of which had win 10 installed (lenovo ideapad) and the first thing I did was to kill win and install Linux mint.  I am thinking I might install ArcaOS if they ever release the UEFI version.

I have also had several friends bring their laptops with win 10 installed as an update that messed up everything they had there for me to fix.  I am dreading a rush of win 11 machines because I know of several laptops (HONOR MagicBook 16 and others) appeared as Christmas presents.

Plemty of os/2 users i know that run Windows next tot Arcaos without any issue's.

Roderick

roberto

• View Profile
Where UEFI said, I put legacy support. I don't know if your problem will be this.
Another topic will be the one who modifies it or how it was modified.
As I did not remember I have looked at him that by chance I had it here. This Lenovo only uses it on vacation.
Saludos