OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

Warp3 boot hang with blinking cursor after fp38 installation

(1/4) > >>

whaka:
hello,

fixpak 38 is the last available for french version of warp 3. so you guess it, i'm french.
i'm playing with a (boosted) PS/2 model 35sx, and really want to use OS/2 on it.
i've somewhat boosted this good old beast, replacing the onboard 386sx by a 486 SXLC2, and overclocked to 33 MHz. (was 20 at stock)
added a really decent video card with a S3 928 chip, network, and sound.
fun little machine :)

so, after fp38 installation, and right after reboot for locked files to be updated, it hang after the boot manager.
all i get is a blinking cursor instead of the OS/2 "blob", keyboard is non responsive too.

the machine is actually using a CF as hard drive, and i first though it may be due to that.
CF are tricky sometimes, but even with a real HDD result is the same.

any ideas ?

Neil Waldhauer:
It's been a while since I supported OS/2 Warp3, but two ideas...

1. check that os2ldr and os2krnl are there on hard drive.
2. try to run sysinstx c: to make sure system files are where they are supposed to be.

Eugene Tucker:
Been a long time for me since I have run Warp 3 but I think there is something or somethings you may have to turn off in the Bios. anyone remember?

whaka:

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on May 16, 2022, 03:27:17 pm ---It's been a while since I supported OS/2 Warp3, but two ideas...

1. check that os2ldr and os2krnl are there on hard drive.
2. try to run sysinstx c: to make sure system files are where they are supposed to be.

--- End quote ---
in between, i tried an older FP to see, fixpak 35. i got the same deadend after locked files have been updated. i checked the 2 files, they are in place.
then i run sysinstx from diskette, he did his job, but nothing better. still got "the blinking cursor of the death"

--- Quote from: Eugene Tucker on May 16, 2022, 05:13:54 pm ---Been a long time for me since I have run Warp 3 but I think there is something or somethings you may have to turn off in the Bios. anyone remember?

--- End quote ---
this is an isa based PS/2, there's nothing much you can do in bios. the only thing you can switch is the bios shadowing, and set date/time.
i don't think it's related to that, but who know...

Tom:

--- Quote from: whaka on May 16, 2022, 02:22:14 pm ---so, after fp38 installation, and right after reboot for locked files to be updated, it hang after the boot manager.
all i get is a blinking cursor instead of the OS/2 "blob", keyboard is non responsive too.

--- End quote ---

Just asking to be sure: the machine booted normally before the fixpak was installed?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version