Author Topic: Setting up ArcaOS on a Netfinity 5600: SMP and Sound Issues  (Read 3433 times)

LuigiThirty

• View Profile
I've got an IBM Netfinity 5600 dual Pentium III server that I use for experimenting with ArcaOS. It seems to have problems with SMP, though, despite Warp 4 supporting SMP on this system. If I don't use /MAXCPU=1 on ACPI.PSD, the system will reboot as soon as I get the ArcaOS splash screen. I normally have to run it with /VW due to having an IBM ServeRaid 3 SCSI controller for my boot drive, though the same thing happened when I installed it on a plain IDE drive. Anyone running one of these era IBM servers?

The other main problem I've run into is that I can't get my YMF744 sound card to work - Uniaud claims to support it but the SVN tree shows there's no support for loading the firmware and it's not detected by the patched YMF724.SYS, just getting an error saying Resource Manager couldn't find the card. Anyone gotten one of these cards running recently? (I've got a CS4614 and ESS1370 I can try too but I want the OPL3 in VDM.)

I also found an issue with Uniaud where it will attempt to attach to every multimedia category PCI device, even ones that aren't sound cards - it spams the logs with errors trying to find a sound driver for my Voodoo2, but that's a minor thing...

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Setting up ArcaOS on a Netfinity 5600: SMP and Sound Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 04:19:41 pm »
Hi LuigiThirty, welcome.
Does the machine actually support ACPI? You could turn on logging in \mptn\etc\acpid.cfg (might have to copy the sample) and/or run AcpiStat to see if it says anything interesting.
Might need the old OS2APIC.PSD.
Really you should consider opening an issue at Arca Noae.

LuigiThirty

• View Profile
Re: Setting up ArcaOS on a Netfinity 5600: SMP and Sound Issues
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 07:29:39 pm »
Ah, yep. I installed OS2APIC.PSD instead and I have two processors now in the OS. It still can't find my sound card but that's less of an issue than the whole system not working.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile