Author Topic: No files in network folders workplace shell  (Read 8151 times)

jacco123

• View Profile
No files in network folders workplace shell
« on: May 19, 2022, 05:53:21 pm »
Hello . i have os/2 warp 4.52 installed on a old computer . everything works except the network shares folders. I have the warp pc connected to a windows xp laptop . log in with my username and password . After that i see the networkshares with the folders from the windows xp laptop but when i click on these folders i get no files . everything is empty. but when i goto the os/2 command shell i see the files in the folders . But not in the workplace shell . What can i do to fix that ? strange that it works only in the command prompt .

jacco123

• View Profile
Re: No files in network folders workplace shell
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 04:15:55 pm »
They dont know or tell anything  >:(

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 08:15:31 pm »
I've been using Samba client for browsing other computers.

But if it works in command line, but not in the Workplace shell, you might look at the folder properties Include tab and see if WPS is hiding files from you.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

jacco123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 04:36:17 pm »
ok i dont know how to do that ?

jacco123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 06:18:50 pm »
 :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 05:14:32 pm by jacco123 »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 06:38:51 pm »
In other words you just wanted your 2 minuets of time in the spotlight and have no thought of learning how to use OS/2 or what is rerquired to work with other systems.

BTW all my OS/2 systems are able to communicate with the samba equipped NAS boxes without any problems.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 09:36:14 pm »
Hi

I was told that on the old Compuserve forums there where peope hired for FUD that usually post something not working about OS/2 (focusing on the weak spot), complain a lot, didn't have any patience and at the end say they are switching to Windows.

I would belive that on this case, but the OS wars were over a lot of years ago.

Jacco, welcome to the OS2World forum, do you want help with you OS/2 system? or just want to complain and FUD?

Warp 4 is very old, I would recommend you to at least to use Warp 4.52 or ArcaOS.
The out of the box file sharing on OS/2 (NETBIOS?), is not that compatible with Windows on purpose, becase Microsoft didn't want people with OS/2 can play nice with Windows, since they don't tolerate competition.

I have no idea how to install Samba on Warp 4, since it is very old, and we are using Warp 4.52, eComStaiton or ArcaOS. If you Warp 4 has an important business application that is used in producction I recommend to back up it first.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 10:16:22 pm »
For non-experienced users it's near to impossible to get OS/2 Warp 4 (even 4.52) to work. Most of them try that because others are not available for nothing. Even the early ArcaOS versions can't be used (without fixes) on more modern hardware. That applies especially for SaMBa.

So, to non-experienced users: Always use the latest version. It's currently ArcaOS 5.0.7. Note that the systems actually lacks a recent and stable browser, even when Dooble is a great step forward. That may be changed in the near future.

jacco123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 10:16:57 pm »
In other words you just wanted your 2 minuets of time in the spotlight and have no thought of learning how to use OS/2 or what is rerquired to work with other systems.

BTW all my OS/2 systems are able to communicate with the samba equipped NAS boxes without any problems.

I use warp 4.52 without internet and windows xp .  i use no samba because it is difficult to install without internet . And i know how networks work . the files and folders are visible but not in the workplace shell . only with the command shell and windows 3.1 from os/2 .

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 10:24:30 pm »
ok i dont know how to do that ?

Right click on the folder, open properties and click the include tab.
Seems I vaguely remember something about this issue but with only one computer, haven't used the networking stuff enough to be knowledgeable.

jacco123

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 10:24:59 pm »
Hi

I was told that on the old Compuserve forums there where peope hired for FUD that usually post something not working about OS/2 (focusing on the weak spot), complain a lot, didn't have any patience and at the end say they are switching to Windows.

I would belive that on this case, but the OS wars were over a lot of years ago.

Jacco, welcome to the OS2World forum, do you want help with you OS/2 system? or just want to complain and FUD?

Warp 4 is very old, I would recommend you to at least to use Warp 4.52 or ArcaOS.
The out of the box file sharing on OS/2 (NETBIOS?), is not that compatible with Windows on purpose, becase Microsoft didn't want people with OS/2 can play nice with Windows, since they don't tolerate competition.

I have no idea how to install Samba on Warp 4, since it is very old, and we are using Warp 4.52, eComStaiton or ArcaOS. If you Warp 4 has an important business application that is used in producction I recommend to back up it first.

Regards

I want help of course . I have try it with warp server for ebusiness and it is the same problem . arcaos is not ready for my old pentium 2 with 128mb .

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 01:26:09 pm »
Hi jacco123

I seem to recall this problem from many years ago and the answer is possibly related to Windows lan settings - something to do with LM ANNOUNCE...

A quick hunt using google gives this "how to" which seems to agree with me  https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?topic=2339.0

Hopefully that will be of help.

Regards

Pete