OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

ArcaOS 5.1 UEFI support - GOP?

(1/4) > >>

jailbird:
I have support so I was going to ask this in Mantis, but the ArcaNoae Wiki makes it sound like Mantis should only be used for bugs and not questions.

Since I'm not on the testing team, I'm curious if the upcoming 5.1 UEFI support includes the UEFI "GOP" (Graphics Output Protocol) support? I know there is some sort of NDA, so if the answer is "we/I can't say", then I understand. The "VGA services" part of https://www.arcanoae.com/uefi-support-in-arcaos-5-1-update-for-february-2022/ makes it sound like "yes", but I couldn't find any Arca Noae UEFI page anywhere that explicitly says GOP (or at least Google couldn't!).

Roderick Klein:
Gop is supported yes.

Roderick

jailbird:
Awesome, thanks!

Rich Walsh:
I'm curious why UEFI GOP would be of any interest unless you plan to write or run a UEFI Boot Services app. Once you enter the runtime environment (i.e. the OS/2 kernel takes over), all that remains is the GOP-created framebuffer. And that is something you can't (or at least, shouldn't) touch because it's the basis of 5.1's VESA-emulation "video driver". Lacking any code to manipulate the video hardware itself, the driver relies on the bootloader to set the video resolution and mode while in Boot Services, then uses the pre-configured framebuffer for its operations.

jailbird:

--- Quote from: Rich Walsh on May 24, 2022, 06:56:09 pm ---I'm curious why UEFI GOP would be of any interest unless you plan to write or run a UEFI Boot Services app. Once you enter the runtime environment (i.e. the OS/2 kernel takes over), all that remains is the GOP-created framebuffer. And that is something you can't (or at least, shouldn't) touch because it's the basis of 5.1's VESA-emulation "video driver". Lacking any code to manipulate the video hardware itself, the driver relies on the bootloader to set the video resolution and mode while in Boot Services, then uses the pre-configured framebuffer for its operations.

--- End quote ---

Mainly because the bhyve hypervisor in FreeBSD (and its derivatives) and also Joyent's SmartOS/SmartDC products use GOP for their VNC support for graphics support. Anything else is serial(-port) console only. I believe in FreeBSD -CURRENT they now have CSM VNC support using traditional VGA emulation, but I don't believe that's made it to real releases yet.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve/UEFI

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version