OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

ArcaOS 5.1 UEFI support - GOP?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Ibrahim Hakeem:
Hi Roderick,

This might fall under NDA, but can you comment on the stability of vefi.sys as opposed to vsvga.sys?

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---but can you comment on the stability of vefi.sys as opposed to vsvga.sys?
--- End quote ---

While doing UEFI testing, I have found that vefi.sys works remarkably well. It actually makes it possible to use DOS/winOS2, on a machine where it won't even start in normal BIOS (CSM) mode. That is, of course, because of the replacement for CSM, that Arca Noae has developed. It probably isn't perfect, but it is much better.

Ibrahim Hakeem:

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on May 27, 2022, 06:01:49 pm ---
--- Quote ---but can you comment on the stability of vefi.sys as opposed to vsvga.sys?
--- End quote ---

While doing UEFI testing, I have found that vefi.sys works remarkably well. It actually makes it possible to use DOS/winOS2, on a machine where it won't even start in normal BIOS (CSM) mode. That is, of course, because of the replacement for CSM, that Arca Noae has developed. It probably isn't perfect, but it is much better.

--- End quote ---

That's great to read! It seems we're well on the way to phasing out the use of DOSBOX as a stop-gap.  Thank you kindly Doug

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: jailbird on May 27, 2022, 08:19:23 am ---
--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on May 27, 2022, 01:07:55 am ---All this info you can find in youtube presentations from alex taylor he did for warpstock europe.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Roderick, I'll check it out. Sadly, if there were captions (auto-generated or otherwise) on the video, a Google search didn't pop it up when I was searching :(.

--- End quote ---

Try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onY3uZw7m3Y

Roderick

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---That's great to read! It seems we're well on the way to phasing out the use of DOSBOX as a stop-gap.
--- End quote ---

Not entirely. Vefi.sys is only for UEFI machines, so machines that are not installed in UEFI mode cannot use it It is also possible, that something will work with DOSBOX, and not with vefi.sys support. DOS/winOS2 does have a couple of other restrictions, that DOSBOX doesn't have. When the time comes, you will need to try it, to see what happens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version