OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

ArcaOS 5.1 UEFI support - GOP?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Lars:
I understand that bhyve is a hypervisor, a "host" so to say, for running a "guest" in a VM (much like Virtualbox ?).

So I understand that the "host" relies on GOP but why would the "guest" (ArcaOS in this case) need GOP for just that ?
Wouldn't you be able to run plain DOS as a "guest" (and surely, DOS knows nothing about UEFI or GOP) ?

Or is this necessary to support screen output during the ArcaOS bootup phase ?

Jochen Schäfer:
Mostly likely the latter.
That's a common problem with Macpros, which have GPUs without a Mac specific firmware installed. Everything boots up, but the display only "lights up", when the drivers kick in. So there some efforts to provide UEFI boot managers with GOP support, such that you can select your boot partitions on startup.

Roderick Klein:
Its already workung with go suppirt. Arcaos ships with something called an launcher.

Roderick

Roderick Klein:
Rich explained it better. Anyway in Arcaos 5.1 beta the bass video handler dll bvhsvga.dll has been replaced by bvhefi.dll for uefi boit. The uefi loader provides an extremely minimal video bios. And vsvga.sys for dos sessiobs is replaced by vefi.sys.

All this info you can find in youtube presentations from alex taylor he did for warpstock europe.

Roderick

jailbird:

--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on May 27, 2022, 01:07:55 am ---All this info you can find in youtube presentations from alex taylor he did for warpstock europe.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Roderick, I'll check it out. Sadly, if there were captions (auto-generated or otherwise) on the video, a Google search didn't pop it up when I was searching :(.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version