OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Games

DOS Game - Privateer - EMS - NOEMS (DOSBox / VDM)

<< < (2/2)

Mark Szkolnicki:
Good Morning Martin!

BTW, one other thing - are you using DOSBOX Front or some other DOSBOX GUI?

I'm using the 4.9.5 version of same, on top of DOSBOX 0.7.4, and find it very useful in quickly setting up DOS programs and games under DOSBOX. I like the fact that all the settings are present, under various tabs, so after loading the program you can quickly page through the settings and create a .CMD file to run the program, in minutes - I also find it useful to quickly modify games like Privateer that are not cooperating.

Your probably using it or something similar, however useful information for others if they are wanting to try DOSBOX, but are reticent about it being too complex to set up, game by game, command line wise.

Personally, I find that most games, once you have the mount setting right (points to where you have installed the game), just work under DOSBOX - if they don't, usually its the video perspectives that are wrong and need adjustment and occasionally the sound.

Trying to find the right combination of DOS VDM settings I've found has been a challenge many times - especially the SET BLASTER variable - doing Wim's testing, I have yet to find the right settings for sound under a DOS VDM on my test system - its the reason I'm interested in Privateer, as it seems sound is the biggest problem there - something of a troubleshooting challenge, which spending my life as a troubleshooter, is appealing.

Best of the day, Sir!

M

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Mark

--- Quote from: Mark Szkolnicki on June 02, 2022, 04:11:26 pm ---BTW, one other thing - are you using DOSBOX Front or some other DOSBOX GUI?

--- End quote ---

No, I'm not using any. But it is on my list to give it a try to DOSBox Front 4.9.5 someday. Now, since you recommend it I'm more tempted to try it.

--- Quote from: Mark Szkolnicki on June 02, 2022, 04:11:26 pm ---Personally, I find that most games, once you have the mount setting right (points to where you have installed the game), just work under DOSBOX - if they don't, usually its the video perspectives that are wrong and need adjustment and occasionally the sound.

Trying to find the right combination of DOS VDM settings I've found has been a challenge many times - especially the SET BLASTER variable - doing Wim's testing, I have yet to find the right settings for sound under a DOS VDM on my test system - its the reason I'm interested in Privateer, as it seems sound is the biggest problem there - something of a troubleshooting challenge, which spending my life as a troubleshooter, is appealing.

--- End quote ---

There was this program called eGamer, that helped us creating a DOS setting icon for a list of DOS games. I haven't used it on ages, but you may want to give it a try. eGamer 1.0

Regards

Dave Yeo:
Warp 3 and/or Warp 4 came with a database of DOS games, and maybe other DOS programs so that you could install a DOS game and get a correctly setup program object. For example, I remember Simcity 2000 wouldn't run in a VDM, install it properly and it got an undocumented parameter, /mem(something, I forget) and it ran fine.
Just can't remember much about it now, anyone else?

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

I reinstalled privateer (with its DOS installer) and configure it as "no sound", just in case.

Now it runs on DosBox. But it asks me to configure Joystick 1 and Joystick 2.
Joystick 1 worked fine, but I'm not still using two joysticks at the same time, and I don't know if it possible to skip the calibration on this game.

On DOS VDM I got the same error.

--- Quote ---Protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls.
Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option.
If it is, replace the option "NOEMS" with "RAM".
--- End quote ---

So, there is some progress with DOSBox, but not sure if this will ever work on VDM.

Regards

Mark Szkolnicki:
Hi Dave!

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on June 03, 2022, 04:15:09 am ---Warp 3 and/or Warp 4 came with a database of DOS games, and maybe other DOS programs so that you could install a DOS game and get a correctly setup program object. For example, I remember Simcity 2000 wouldn't run in a VDM, install it properly and it got an undocumented parameter, /mem(something, I forget) and it ran fine.
Just can't remember much about it now, anyone else?

--- End quote ---

Don't know about a VDM, but Simcity 2000 (at least the DOS version) runs perfectly in DOSBOX.

M

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version