OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

Boycott Discussion

(1/2) > >>

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Roderick

--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on May 26, 2022, 11:17:18 pm ---From my perspective this way of fixing stuff is the same as throwing mutt at the wall and see if it sticks.
I think everybody is putting Glenn on the wrong foot to make him replace pmmerge.dll. It might fix the crash the but nobody even knows why the crash occurs in the first place. So if you backlevel the last version of pmmerge.dll with an older one. The program might start to work, but then what is broken ?
I mean its all well intended but what is causing the crash in the first place ? PMMERGE.DLL is pretty important system dll and not something that should just be swapped out like spare tire from the trunk of your car.

--- End quote ---

I took these words as your opinion and FUD against the OS4 development. Please open another thread if you want to express something else. We know that the OS4 development is experimental and for me it is categorised as a research/educational project. We have discussed that a lot on the forums, and I don't want to continue with that.

Sorry Glenn, let's try to get the "popuplog.os2 entry" as Roderick also said.

Regards

Roderick Klein:
Its not any statements against anybody or OS/4. You should not recommend to swap key system files to get an application to work. I think we should rather start to learn how to analyze the issue at hand and see if we can fix possibly. If you put an old version of PMMERGE.DLL, what can then be broken ?

What can we do with popuplog.os2 Entry ? How can we analyse a crash and see if we can fix it actually. Sometimes the exceptq.log provides SOME information so you can see what goes wrong. But since popuplog.os2 has registers. How can you analyse this ? If we could learn that togheter we can help possibly BETTER analyse crashes for people as team. BTW That is not always easy, but if we can learn it to an extend...

Rich Walsh:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on May 27, 2022, 12:08:38 am ---I took these words as your opinion and FUD against the OS4 development.

--- End quote ---

This is OUTRAGEOUS!  For anyone to make such an accusation with no basis in fact would be out of line. For you to do so - especially against someone who has done more to promote OS/2 development (e.g. Dooble) than nearly anyone - calls into question whether you are really suitable to be an os2world moderator. You should apologize immediately.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Rich

I'm sorry but there is more background history here. I had noticed a lot of FUD against OS/2 russian developers and the OS4 project on the past. I don't want that and I want to advice people to stop that kind of things on the forum. There had been some private, "super confidential", that "I'm not supposed to repeat" skype calls on the past and I will no longer take part on those.

I will stop on the forum any attempt of boycott a project, even if you think that are hard words.

Roderick may love this platform, work hard to do things for OS/2, but he has ways to obtain his goals that I don't like or share.

Regards

jailbird:

--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on May 27, 2022, 12:17:15 am ---Its not any statements against anybody or OS/4. You should not recommend to swap key system files to get an application to work. I think we should rather start to learn how to analyze the issue at hand and see if we can fix possibly. If you put an old version of PMMERGE.DLL, what can then be broken ?

--- End quote ---

That's my fault and I apologize. I saw mention that the trap was happening in PMMERGE.DLL and I remembered that the OS/4 team had squashed some bugs in that, so I figured it was worth a shot to try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version