Author Topic: VLC Stutters on 5.0.7  (Read 4853 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
VLC Stutters on 5.0.7
« on: May 27, 2022, 10:11:20 pm »
VLC 3.0.16 (and older) is chopped and stuttering. MP3's play fine using PM123 , but MP4's & MP3''s are bad using 1 Processsor and get much worse when the number of processors are increased. This is on 2 machines running Linux with 2 virtual installs of 5.0.7 on each one.  I've probably forgotten to do something basic but can't figure out what that might be. I've tried enableing VT-x/AMD-V but no help there. I'm using a Bridged connection but don't think thats a problem, DOOABLE works GREAT!

Thanks in advance for any ideas!    klipp

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: VLC Stutters on 5.0.7
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 10:58:58 pm »
VLC 3.0.16 (and older) is chopped and stuttering. MP3's play fine using PM123 , but MP4's & MP3''s are bad using 1 Processsor and get much worse when the number of processors are increased. This is on 2 machines running Linux with 2 virtual installs of 5.0.7 on each one.  I've probably forgotten to do something basic but can't figure out what that might be. I've tried enableing VT-x/AMD-V but no help there. I'm using a Bridged connection but don't think thats a problem, DOOABLE works GREAT!

Thanks in advance for any ideas!    klipp

Use the SoundBlaster PnP for sound in the guest. It uses far less resources, and works a lot better than the alternatives.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 01:59:36 am »
Well the ancient Soundblaster diver works fine except that I don't believe they had invented codes yet, Hence no MP4 or MP3.
I guess I need to go back to the Default sound driver that is selected during the install of 5.0.7. I don't remember how to do this without a complete new install. Could someone describe to me in detail how to do this?

Thanks   klipp

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 02:11:50 am »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 04:04:22 am »
Well the ancient Soundblaster diver works fine except that I don't believe they had invented codes yet, Hence no MP4 or MP3.

Huh? We have no hardware support for MP3 or MP4 etc, just programs that decode them into basically WAV which is then fed to the sound driver. There is the problem with the original SB that it only handled 8 bit sound instead of the usual 16 bit

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 09:54:54 pm »
Thank you Andreus, That got it for me , I'm now back to crappy MP3 & MP3 sound, but guess I have to live with it.

Hey Dave, I don't understand your post. Are you saying the SB16PNP should have worked? If so I must have missed something ?

Thanks  klipp

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 11:19:12 pm »
Thank you Andreus, That got it for me , I'm now back to crappy MP3 & MP3 sound, but guess I have to live with it.

Hey Dave, I don't understand your post. Are you saying the SB16PNP should have worked? If so I must have missed something ?

Thanks  klipp

Sure, why not? It's a 16 bit sound card unlike the original SB so should work fine. You might need "SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART" without the quotes in your environment for programs using libkai and of course the correct driver, seems there were various ones for the SB16.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 04:45:02 am »
Are you saying the SB16PNP should have worked? If so I must have missed something ?

Possibly. You initially said you were using VLC. That thing is a bit of a challenge to install, because of the way it is packaged. I prefer PM123, which is easy to install https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/sound/players/PM123_1-42.exe

I am listening to MP3 files, from VBox in win 10, using the SB16PNP device for ArcaOS, and PM123, as I type. Sound is not very good, because the speakers in the laptop are not very good. Plug in better speakers, and it sounds much better. Definitely no breakup. Note that I do need to turn up the volume to 100%, or it is not loud enough to hear.