Author Topic: Samba 4.13.x Update/Status  (Read 7405 times)

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Samba 4.13.x Update/Status
« on: August 14, 2022, 11:05:06 am »
Hi All,

As some would be aware, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS switched to Samba 4.13.x a while back, mainly due to a particular security fix that couldn't be backported to 4.11.

This was a problem for us, as Samba 4.12+ introduced the use of some API that we don't have (openat, renameat and friends). I initially raised a bww ticket for these (https://github.com/bitwiseworks/libcx/issues/81) but there seems to be no interest in working on this.

Meanwhile, I started working on my own implementation, which seems to be sufficient for now - see https://github.com/psmedley/at-funcs

With these in place, I was still having issues with directory listings, and using the debugger, noticed we're also missing fdopendir - so I implemented that too.

I can now get directory listings and transfer files using SMB1 and Samba 4.13.14

With SMB2, I'm getting:
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED

So there's still work to do to understand why this is happening.

More news when there's something worth sharing

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Re: Samba 4.13.x Update/Status
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 11:41:03 am »
Hey All,

I think I found the problem with SMB2+ connections. Samba 4.13 changed a writev() call to sendmsg() - seems the sendmsg() call fails for us.

Rebuilding now, and will do some more local testing, but I might have something to test shortly :)

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 02:59:22 am »
Hey All,
I think I found the problem with SMB2+ connections. Samba 4.13 changed a writev() call to sendmsg() - seems the sendmsg() call fails for us.

Rebuilding now, and will do some more local testing, but I might have something to test shortly :)

Anyone interested in testing an updated Samba *server* - please let me know.

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 09:34:07 am »
Hey All,

Hi Paul,

I am running SAMBA server 3.6.25 for some time by now. I would really like to have a 4.x basd SAMBA server.

Greetings from Potsdam, Germany
Mike

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 11:21:10 am »
Hi Mike,

Hey All,
I am running SAMBA server 3.6.25 for some time by now. I would really like to have a 4.x basd SAMBA server.

To be clear - this is still very much beta level code, and it's possible data loss could occur. There are also currently no GUI tools - and there may be some manually editing of smb.conf required to get this running.

If none of this has scared you away - please send me an email, and I'll get you added to a testers mailing list.

Cheers,

Paul

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 03:30:02 pm »
Hi Mike,

To be clear - this is still very much beta level code, and it's possible data loss could occur. There are also currently no GUI tools - and there may be some manually editing of smb.conf required to get this running.

If none of this has scared you away - please send me an email, and I'll get you added to a testers mailing list.

Cheers,

Paul

Dear Paul,

I have sent you a separate e-mail. Hope the address I have is still valid.
I am not scared about using beta software or manually editing the smb.conf :).
In addition I will not replace a production system without thorough and extensively testing of the new software in a secure surrounding.

Thanks,
Mike

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 04:41:32 am »
Hi Mike,

Hi Mike,

Cheers,

Paul

Dear Paul,

I have sent you a separate e-mail. Hope the address I have is still valid.
I am not scared about using beta software or manually editing the smb.conf :).
In addition I will not replace a production system without thorough and extensively testing of the new software in a secure surrounding.

Thanks - look out for an email from me this evening AU time :)

Cheers,

Paul.

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 12:14:18 pm »
Hi Mike,

Thanks - look out for an email from me this evening AU time :)

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

smbd-4.15.9-20220828 well received. Both files placed in my SAMBA test and first impression is promising.
Kindly see attached picture.

No changes for my smb.conf needed  :D.
Access from W10_x64 is working (read & write of files).
I will give it more testing the coming days and keep you updated.

Greetings,
Mike

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 12:10:35 pm »
2022-08-31 Short update:

Copying complete folders to and from my OS/2 station (JFS formatted drives) using the new test SAMBA version from a Windows 10 Pro (x64) computer is working fine.  :)
Copying files to and from an encrypted drive (Netdrive with ndcrypt) via SAMBA 4.15.9 is working.  :)
Copying complete folders from an encrypted drive (Netdrive with ndcrypt) via SAMBA 4.15.9 is working.  :)
But copying folders to the encrypted drives fails as well creating a new folder at the encrypted drive from W10.  :(

Greetings,
Mike

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 05:48:56 am »
Hey Miks,

2022-08-31 Short update:

Copying complete folders to and from my OS/2 station (JFS formatted drives) using the new test SAMBA version from a Windows 10 Pro (x64) computer is working fine.  :)
Copying files to and from an encrypted drive (Netdrive with ndcrypt) via SAMBA 4.15.9 is working.  :)
Copying complete folders from an encrypted drive (Netdrive with ndcrypt) via SAMBA 4.15.9 is working.  :)
But copying folders to the encrypted drives fails as well creating a new folder at the encrypted drive from W10.  :(

Can you explain more about "But copying folders to the encrypted drives fails as well creating a new folder at the encrypted drive from W10."

If possible, can you get smbd logs from this with debug level 8?
smbd -d 8

log will end up in x:\mptn\etc\samba\log\log.smbd - it will be large so feel free to zip/email.

Cheers,

Paul.