Author Topic: OS/4 Problem SVN6139  (Read 8022 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
OS/4 Problem SVN6139
« on: June 07, 2022, 09:36:30 pm »
Latest OS/4 kernek (6139) istalled. Starts Boot then craps out with: SYS1719: The file E:\OS2Boot \PmDDK.SYS specified  i the *** statmet o n line 31 of the config.sys file does ot cotain a valid device driver or file system driver. Line 31 is ignored. Press enter to cotinue.
   I' guessing this because of the notice included with the installation instructions say "Patch" needs to be installed. It looks like www.gus.byusk.ru  has been down for a few days and remains that wey. So I don't know which patch is needed, is there another site these patches can be dowloaded from?

Thaks for any help you ca offer.    klipp

Lars

• View Profile
Re: OS/4 Problem SVN6139
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 11:09:49 pm »
1) latest OS/4 kernel is 6140. However, I experience a trap on bootup. I donĀ“t know why. I created a trap dump but the dump formatter (that comes with eCS) cannot properly decode the dump. the OS/4 kernel seems to be not equivalent in this respect.

2) are you sure it is "E:\OS2BOOT \pmDDK.SYS" ? Looks like that should be "E:\OS2\BOOT\PMDDK.SYS". Or is that a typo ?

3) have you also installed ALL other drivers that come with the OS/4 zip ? OS4APIC.PSD, SCREEN03.SYS, OEMHLP.BPD ?

4) you might also be forced to install ACPI4.BPD in case your system no longer has working MP tables (this is something that predates the ACPI tables and provides a subset of functionality of the ACPI tables to support a multi-core/multi-processor system). However, that driver is hard to find but drop me a private note and I can send that to you.

I doubt that you need to patch something (likely, you mean ACPI.PSD). And the ACPI.PSD that can be patched is an outdated version, that is not recommended anyways.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 11:44:48 pm »
Specifying VALIMIT=3072 seems to fix the trap that I was experiencing. But I have probs running with 8 cores. Looks like there is something wrong with the thread scheduling (it blocks for extended periods).

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 01:45:08 am »
Hi Lars, Thanks I really appreciate the help!
I finally found 6140 and downloaded it. I'll get installed in the mourning, then I can compare your results with mine.
I noticed the 6140 makes no reference to needing a patch, apparently something got fixed and the reason for 6140
Thanks also for the offer of ACPI4.bpd, Now I realy need to display my ignorancs, and ask you "How do I send you a "Private note"?
Gotta give it up for tonight, be back in the morning.

klipp

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 08:01:41 am »
Thaks for any help you ca offer.    klipp

Hi. Everything you need to install OS/4 is in the distributive. You just have to follow the NowTo step by step.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 08:16:38 am »
Specifying VALIMIT=3072 seems to fix the trap that I was experiencing.

It is difficult to imagine the connection of trap with VAL. If you can show some of them it may help.

... 8 cores. Looks like there is something wrong with the thread scheduling (it blocks for extended periods).

Interesting, I run with 4 cores - newer seen.  Any details?

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 07:07:04 pm »
I installed svn6140 but got the same results , "PmDDK.SYS does not contain a valid device driver"  I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what that might be. This Machine is a AMD box .8 processers and running VBox in a Virtual machine.What does PmDDK accomplish for OS4? The included  "HowTo  still says it needs a patch like SVN6139.!

klipp

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 07:23:43 pm »
The included  "HowTo  still says it needs a patch like SVN6139.!

klipp

pls come to irc://efnet/os2russian  may be we can solve the case

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 08:59:51 pm »
... 8 cores. Looks like there is something wrong with the thread scheduling (it blocks for extended periods).

Interesting, I run with 4 cores - newer seen.  Any details?

I am using the VAC compiler from time to time. It comes with an IDE called "Integrated Workframe" (IWF).
The IWF implements a couple of WPS classes, in particular one to display all "parts" of the project in a WPS folder.
You can open different views of that WPS folder much like any other WPS folder: icon, tree, details view.
A "part" is normally a file in an ordinary filesystem, however, the IWF can be extended and generalizes the concept of a "part". That said, I wrote an extension to display the contents of ZIP files within the WPS folder where the "directory" is the ZIP file and the "files" are the archive files within that ZIP file.
Now, I have linked 3 ZIP files into one project and the overall number of archive files is > 9000. Unfortunately, the IWF is not very performant and in addition, it starts a new thread for each view of the WPS folder (you can concurrently open multiple views of the same WPS folder, again, much like an ordinary WPS folder). I used the "unzip" DLL interface to query and list the archive files within the ZIP file and maybe, that also eats up quite some processing power as the "unzip" DLL interface will be called for as many views as there are open (even though, of course, the ZIP content is the very same).

What I now observe is this: the time to display all "parts" of a WPS view is already pretty slow with the OS/2 kernel (takes more than 90 seconds to display all "parts") but it becomes VERY slow with the OS/4 kernel in place where it takes much longer (3 minutes or more). From the way those IWF WPS classes work, I'd think that this has either something to do with threading or with some blocking semaphores waiting for something.
What I can see is that OS/4 activates about all kernels on my 8 core machine when that view refresh happens whereas the OS/2 kernel will typically only use 3 kernels with the rest idling (I guess ACPI.PSD takes care of that but I am of course using OS4APIC.PSD+ACPI4.BPD when I am using the OS/4 kernel).
What I additionally see with the TOP tool is that with the OS/2 kernel, one process will shortly monopolize the processing power and that will then quickly move to the next process monopolizing the processing power and so on and so forth (so, the load is not only concentrated on PMSHELL.EXE under whose context the WPS classes are executing).
With the OS/4 kernel, one process will monopolize the processing power for a much longer time.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 09:06:36 pm by Lars »

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 12:56:43 am »
H os4user, Thsnks for the help, I could'nt get irc://efnet/os2russiann to work.I tried remming out PMDDK.sys and it boots until  it gets to the thr UNIAUD sound drivers  and then
 " The sustem detected an internal error at location ##0168:00006297 - 0010:00006297"
internal revision 15.1dgb_SMP.6140
Possibly a sound driver or SMP problem?
Hope this helps & Thanks

klipp

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 07:55:27 am »
H os4user, Thsnks for the help, I could'nt get irc://efnet/os2russiann to work.

To get to irc you need an irc client for example http://chatzilla.hacksrus.com/xpi/chatzilla-0.9.93.xpi

I tried remming out PMDDK.sys and it boots until 

The system cannot operate without PMDD(K).sys

Pls show your config.os4

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 10:25:42 pm »
I just installed on a different identicle machine and it works! Apologies for the "False Alarm"! I've got something screwed up!
Thanks Lars & OS4user
,it looks like there might be problems with using multiple processors

klipp

jailbird

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2022, 12:13:52 am »
You can use https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.efnet.org to get on EFnet, just put in a nick and change the channel to #os2russian

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2022, 03:20:30 am »
Hey, Thanks jailbird. I've got a feeling I'm going to need that site quite a bit

klipp

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 08:18:09 am »
Thanks Lars & OS4user

You are always welcome

,it looks like there might be problems with using multiple processors

it should not, it works ok SMP too