Author Topic: New builds of Thunderbird and SeaMonkey  (Read 26331 times)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
New builds of Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
« on: June 09, 2022, 04:28:47 pm »
I see the posting of new builds for Mozilla apps. The prerequisite list looks shorter now. What compiler was used to make the new builds?

(Thanks Dave Yeo, for supporting us with these new builds.)
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: New builds of Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 05:55:08 pm »
Hi Neil, they're built with the system GCC 9.2.0, Paul's latest GCC builds can't link xul.dll.
These are just i686 builds of the same code as the P4 builds though I did fix a packaging error where some XQS files weren't installed.
They should have the usual requirements and should work basically the same with i686 or P4 prerequisites.
I am interested in if they work on systems without SSE2 (Pentium III or earlier or old Athlons), a previous i686 build for some reason crashed for someone with a SSE2 error, which shouldn't happen

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 11:38:54 pm »
Hi Neil, they're built with the system GCC 9.2.0, Paul's latest GCC builds can't link xul.dll.
I wonder how hard it is to get mozilla building here so I can try and fix this....

Remind me of the error again,or ideally, open a ticket at https://mantis.smedley.id.au

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 01:47:24 am »
it's not that hard to get it to build, assuming you're using RPM/YUM. For your environment, Python might be a problem. It creates a virtual environment to install all the Python packages it uses. Bitwise had instructions on Github, not quite how I do it but a good list of the dependencies.
I'll revisit the build and catch the actual error and open an issue. Also need to double check that I've pushed all my commits, takes forever to do a commit due to the couple of GB of source.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 01:48:33 am »
BTW, there is also an i686 build of Firefox at https://mozilla-os2.sourceforge.io/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 03:57:20 am by Dave Yeo »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 01:52:47 am »
Hey Dave,

it's not that hard to get it to build, assuming you're using RPM/YUM. For your environment, Python might be a problem. It creates a virtual environment to install all the Python packages it uses. Bitwise had instructions on Github, not quite how I do it but a good list of the dependencies.
I'll revisit the build and catch the actual error and open an issue. Also need to double check that I've pushed all my commits, takes forever to do a commit due to the couple of GB of source.

WellI can always get it building with rpm then hack the environment to add in the modern gcc... shouldn't be that hard (famous last words)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 04:04:20 am »
Hacking the environment to use your GCC is the easy part :)
Be aware that it won't build with newer then GCC 10.x IIRC due to C++ changes in the compiler, that's true on all platforms.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 04:06:02 am »
Should we have a thread here on building it or on your bug tracker?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 06:39:03 am »
Well, just tried building Firefox with GCC 9.4.0, IIRC, gcc-9.4.0-os2-20220314b.zip, and it succeeded.
Code: [Select]
about:buildconfig
Source

Built from git commit 90c195f3e9a9219bc7e264ee1a98eab88d8af903
Build platform
target
i386-pc-os2-emx
Build tools
Compiler Version Compiler flags
gcc.exe 9.4.0 -Wall -Wempty-body -Wpointer-to-int-cast -Wsign-compare -Wtype-limits -Wno-unused -Wcast-align -Zomf -std=gnu99 -fgnu89-inline -fno-strict-aliasing -Zomf -fno-math-errno -pthread
c++ 9.4.0 -idirafter K:/usr/include/os2tk45 -Wall -Wempty-body -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsign-compare -Wwrite-strings -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wcast-align -Zomf -fno-exceptions -fno-strict-aliasing -Zomf -flifetime-dse=1 -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wclass-memaccess -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -fno-math-errno -std=gnu++0x -pthread -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -g -march=pentium4 -mtune=generic -O2 -flifetime-dse=1 -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wclass-memaccess -msse2 -fomit-frame-pointer
Configure arguments

--enable-application=browser '--enable-optimize=-march=pentium4 -mtune=generic -O2 -flifetime-dse=1 -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wclass-memaccess -msse2' --disable-debug --enable-debug-symbols --disable-tests --enable-os2-high-mem --without-x --enable-official-branding --enable-system-cairo --enable-system-pixman --with-intl-api --with-system-icu --with-system-zlib --with-system-libvpx --prefix=/usr --disable-webrtc --disable-telemetry --disable-devtools --disable-crashreporter --disable-gamepad --disable-web-speech --disable-updater --disable-startupcache

Guess I'll try SeaMonkey, then download 10.x and try that.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 10:29:03 am »
Should we have a thread here on building it or on your bug tracker?

For building it, here is fine. When we get to the bit about it breaking, a ticket will  be helpful.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 10:30:12 am »
Hey Dave,
Be aware that it won't build with newer then GCC 10.x IIRC due to C++ changes in the compiler, that's true on all platforms.

OK -  well still worth investigating, as presumably the same  issue will affect GCC 11.x and 12.x

Cheers,

Paul

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 03:33:06 pm »
Hi Dave!

Well, just tried building Firefox with GCC 9.4.0, IIRC, gcc-9.4.0-os2-20220314b.zip, and it succeeded...

Thank you....but "if I could have my cake and eat it", any chance you could do an updated build of "-march=amdfam10 -mtune=k8" or P4 for either one (or both???) (see this Mar_2022 thread of ours => https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,3015.15.html)

My TB is the pentium_m build, while the FF is the one-off PhenomII you did for me.

Thanks!
-Dariusz

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2022, 04:31:46 pm »
Hey Dave,

OK -  well still worth investigating, as presumably the same  issue will affect GCC 11.x and 12.x

Cheers,

Paul

Well. it was building SeaMonkey that failed before and it failed again. Guess due to SeaMonkey's xul.dll being larger then Firefox's, so we'll have to set you up for building SeaMonkey, which as a first step means building Firefox.
Here's the tail of the build.log, the failing command line is over 59,000 characters so won't paste it.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2022, 04:58:55 pm »
Hi Dave!

Well, just tried building Firefox with GCC 9.4.0, IIRC, gcc-9.4.0-os2-20220314b.zip, and it succeeded...

Thank you....but "if I could have my cake and eat it", any chance you could do an updated build of "-march=amdfam10 -mtune=k8" or P4 for either one (or both???) (see this Mar_2022 thread of ours => https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,3015.15.html)

My TB is the pentium_m build, while the FF is the one-off PhenomII you did for me.

Thanks!
-Dariusz

Hi Dariusz, at some point I should be able to

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 05:14:40 pm »
Hi Dave!

Thanks!
-Dariusz

Hi Dariusz, at some point I should be able to

Thanks Dave, I appreciate that!

In the meantime, which really should have dawned on my before posting the last response, I am trying to get Paul's 12.x GCC build installed so that I can go back to those performance tests and figure out whether the results I saw were due some GCC optimization "bug" (in that 9.2.0 20190812 version which I am using here), or are they persisting even in the latest ports.