OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Programming

Newbie guide to porting software?

<< < (2/2)

Dave Yeo:
Hi jailbird,
For the PATH, make sure you install os2-base-unixtools-base and perhaps os2-base-fhs so the *nix tools come before x:\os2
For tracing, I'm not sure if we have any tools to do that, perhaps someone else knows. Should be able to use the operating system trace but I've never done it.
Also we don't have a current gdb port, have to use an IBM debugger.
Always a good idea to grep for win32 as often Windows workarounds are similar to ones we need, especially things like making sure we're in binary mode.

jailbird:
Dave,

AH-HA! That's probably exactly the cause of my issue then. I wonder if netlabs would accept a 'build-essentials' RPM metapackage that would install all of the needed packages (gcc, etc).

As for things that are lacking in the terminal handling, does anybody know which layer they're lacking at? Eg, is it the termcap/terminfo layer, the ncurses/termlib layer, or the old 16-bit Vio layer?

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: jailbird on June 14, 2022, 03:12:47 am ---Dave,

AH-HA! That's probably exactly the cause of my issue then. I wonder if netlabs would accept a 'build-essentials' RPM metapackage that would install all of the needed packages (gcc, etc).

--- End quote ---

I don't see why not, they might have some ideas about what it should contain.

--- Quote ---As for things that are lacking in the terminal handling, does anybody know which layer they're lacking at? Eg, is it the termcap/terminfo layer, the ncurses/termlib layer, or the old 16-bit Vio layer?

--- End quote ---

Mostly the termcap/terminfo layer I beleive. There is a ncurses port. There is always the option of falling back to native API, at that I recently discovered some of the 16 bit VIO layer is in libc complete with thunking and taking care of segments, see for example this thread, https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?topic=3066.
Handy having the libc source to find things like KbdCharIn()
If using the OS/2 API, pretty much required for some multimedia stuff like needing a foucc, libc includes its own version of os2.h which normally calls os2emx.h but can call the toolkit version. Or you can directly use the toolkits h files by doing something like "-dirafter /@unixroot/usr/include/os2tk45/h", need the -dirafter to avoid the toolkits ancient libc, then #include <os2me.h> for example will work.

Andreas Schnellbacher:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on June 14, 2022, 04:01:08 am ---
--- Quote from: jailbird on June 14, 2022, 03:12:47 am ---AH-HA! That's probably exactly the cause of my issue then. I wonder if netlabs would accept a 'build-essentials' RPM metapackage that would install all of the needed packages (gcc, etc).

--- End quote ---

I don't see why not, they might have some ideas about what it should contain.

--- End quote ---

netlabs.org consisists of the developers that use Adrian's facility to host projects. For to address someone, you should better address the maintainers of the netlabs.org .rpm repository. That's bww, not Adrian. (BTW: My project is on netlabs.org, too and I am not involved in any .rpm project, but I endorse that.)

In case of the .rpm files I have to say that bww uses the netlabs.org repository only for providing new packages. The sources, including bug tracker etc. were copied to GitHub long time ago.

I recommend the following: If you want to create a new SVN project with Trac, address Adrian. If you want to add something else or have the need of GitHub, contact Martin. If you want to have something added to the .rpm repository, contact bww.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version