OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Mail-News

PMMail and filters - this one is not working...why?

(1/2) > >>

Dariusz Piatkowski:
So my very, very old email address has gone through cycles of SPAM...but this latest hit is a prolonged one and so I've decided to cook up some extra filters to deal with that challenge.

Luckily for me the vast majority of SPAM email addresses end with a couple of string patters. Here is an example of an email HEADER:

--- Code: ---...
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 16:04:45 -0400
To:   <BLOCKED_FOR_MY_SANITY>
Subject: Your Home Depot Verification No.  #3232007

--- End code ---

You will noticed the from email address ends with ".click", I am also getting a pile of ".xyz" as well, easy enough to spot!

So to deal with this I figured that I'd just "beef up" my existing filters by adding the following;

--- Code: ---(h.fromid.-z = "click" | h.fromid.-z = "xyz")

--- End code ---

...alas, this does NOT work, and I cannot figure out why???

That filter is supposed to tell PMMail to simply look for a "*click" or "*xyz" in the actual email address field itself.

So I'm curious, is anything jumping out at anyone here?

Thanks!

Matt Walsh:
In PMMail 3.25 I just use the built in filter builder under account.
Quick and works for me.  Example attached.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---So to deal with this I figured that I'd just "beef up" my existing filters by adding the following;

--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

Okay, it has been a LONG time since I tried complex filters, it is much easier to do as Matt suggests.

However:

I don't see "-z" documented. Do you mean something else?

I would expect that "h.fromid." should be "h.fromid" (without the trailing dot).

If that doesn't help, I suggest going to the PMMail user mail list, and ask where PMMail users hang out. You can subscribe (or unsubscribe) here: http://www.os2voice.org/mailinglists.html if needed.

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Hi Matt,

--- Quote from: Matt Walsh on June 11, 2022, 05:14:32 pm ---In PMMail 3.25 I just use the built in filter builder under account.
Quick and works for me.  Example attached.

--- End quote ---

Yup, I've got a few "quick" filters as well...but in this case I already had the complex filters built because that way I can toss multiple "and if that also do this" cases into a single filter as opposed to building multiple ones.

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Hi Doug,

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on June 11, 2022, 05:41:15 pm ---
--- Quote ---So to deal with this I figured that I'd just "beef up" my existing filters by adding the following;

--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

I don't see "-z" documented. Do you mean something else?

I would expect that "h.fromid." should be "h.fromid" (without the trailing dot).

--- End quote ---

Oh yeah, its out there, just sort of burried inside the Help screens. This is supposed to provide wildcard match where the "xyz" occurs at the end of the string (that's the meaning behind "-z" option), so in effect you would be picking up stuff like "bad_player@spamer.xyz".

The result should be that I trap all email addresses that originate from the ".xyz" domain, or claim to be orginating there.

I am starting to wonder if the "Header" fields do NOT actually contain this (this being SPAM and all that), despite the fact that PMMail does actually show this when exposing the email Header info.

Worst case is that like Matt suggetsed, I default to building a quick filter.

For what it's worth, I probably have about 20-30 of these complex filters built (have had them for years) and while they do take a little bit of effort to initially create, they do work extremely well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version