OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

Problem creating PS files after running ArcaOS Package Manager Update

<< < (3/3)

ivan:
Hi Martin,

If your printers are real postscript printers I would think your best way forward would be to use the PSPRINT driver with the PPD for each printer imported.  That is what I have done for my two Brother Laser printers (DCP-9020cdw and HL-3170cdw with the DCP being available for scanning).  They also work from my Linux Mint computers.
Doing it that way cuts out the messing about with CUPS.

Alfredo Fernández Díaz:

--- Quote from: Martin Vieregg on June 27, 2022, 12:02:04 am ---[...] it is a bit strange, because both printers are PS printers.
--- End quote ---
Guessing here, but probably one of the PS drivers simply generates simpler, more compatible (and verbose!) PS code with bitmap font replacements and such. Sub-optimal for producing PDFs, but there should be no noticeable difference in output when actually printing at the right resolution.

Alex Taylor:
It seems like the one printer is not embedding TrueType fonts. The IBM PSCRIPT driver doesn't support this. The newer PSPRINT driver does, but it requires a few things, namely:

* The printer has to support it (i.e. the PPD must have the TTRasterizer attribute set to Type42)
* The embedding feature has to be turned on in the printer driver properties.
* The print job properties must have the number of downloaded fonts set to a high enough number to cover all the fonts being used in the document (20-30 is usually sufficient).
* The fonts specified in the document must actually be installed on your system.
* Each embedded font can be no larger than 2 MB (1MB if the printer has no FreeVM defined), or half the printer's RAM, whichever is less.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version