Author Topic: Dos and WinOS2  (Read 5682 times)

Rick Smith

• View Profile
Dos and WinOS2
« on: July 08, 2022, 02:38:14 am »
Greetings,

I have just discovered that both dos and winos2 prompts do not work, in fact loading either window or full screen hangs my laptop. I do not recall this issue when I installed arca on this laptop before but it was awhile ago.  I looked on arca web site and seemed they had directions to fix similar issues so I did try those, autoexec.bat and the config.sys change but problem persists.  Any ideas?

Rick
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 04:49:02 am by Martin Iturbide »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Dos and WinOS2
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 04:48:38 am »
Hi Rick

There is some documentation about this, but I'm not sure if it is the same issue:
- There is a fix here: https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=1193
- Here there is some documentation about the issues: https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/arcaos/known-issues-commonly-reported/#doswin

Check those out and let us know this helps you fix your issue.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 02:10:01 pm »
That second link is the information I did actually try.  Your fist link to the mantis doesnt seem to work.

Rick

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 04:17:22 pm »
The Mantis link works, but you need to log in first.

The bug tracker entry is about an alternate DOS video driver for OS/2. David wrote that the driver works on some ThinkPads. There's no guarantee that it works.

ArcaOS 5.1 improves the situation in UEFI mode. It uses the improved DOS support of it. The disadvantage is that with UEFI you have to wipe the hard disk and older tools do not work. They continue to work for the MBR area within an UEFI partition. OS/2 doesn't see the UEFI partitions. Another disadvantage is that 5.1 is not released yet.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 05:28:03 pm »

ArcaOS 5.1 improves the situation in UEFI mode. It uses the improved DOS support of it. The disadvantage is that with UEFI you have to wipe the hard disk and older tools do not work. They continue to work for the MBR area within an UEFI partition. OS/2 doesn't see the UEFI partitions. Another disadvantage is that 5.1 is not released yet.

That's only true (the wiping) if you want/need to use GPT partitioning and even then you don't need to wipe usually, you can use any partitioning tool to create a GPT partition (under 2TB) to install AOS. Of course there are always some problems with Windows playing nice with others and documenting all this is unfinished as far as I know and needs to be done before release.
A regular MBR system works fine in UEFI mode though you do need an ESP partition which can be as small as 64MiB so some free space needed.
The DOS/WinOS2 support is very good in UEFI mode

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 05:57:14 pm »
A regular MBR system works fine in UEFI mode
Thanks for the info, that's new for me.

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 03:24:30 am »
Thank you all for your help I just had to repurchase arca  :o because to buy the maintenance program after expired was more expensive than just purchasing the whole OS again.. kind of shitty of arca but oh well...

Rick

Alfredo Fernández Díaz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 03:36:45 pm »
to buy the maintenance program after expired was more expensive than just purchasing the whole OS again...
I don't know what maintenance program you mean, but that doesn't sound very logical. I know for a fact that the Arca people are extremely honest and serious about their business, so I am sure that if you address them directly and politely to point out any problem with their pricing policies or whatever, you will get it sorted out in no time or, at the very least, an explanation of why things are the way they are that you can disagree with and share here :)

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
    • Tales from the Trenches of IT
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2022, 10:41:05 pm »
Hi, Rick...

Thank you all for your help I just had to repurchase arca  :o because to buy the maintenance program after expired was more expensive than just purchasing the whole OS again.

[Further comment regarding Arca Noae deleted.]

As discussed in our FAQ here, and (now) in the ArcaOS 5.0 Support & Maintenance product page, here, as well as on the Support Info tab of the ArcaOS 5.0 - personal edition product page, here, the late renewal price applies when a subscription has lapsed for more than six months.

A late renewal is not, as you have asserted, more expensive than purchasing a new license. A new license not only costs $1 more (personal license) than a late renewal, but the late renewal includes a full year of support, starting from the date of purchase, as opposed to a new license, with its six months of included support.

In fairness, we blogged about this when the policy was put in place, and it only applies to subscriptions which have lapsed for - as I say - six months or more. If you had a question regarding the reasons for the late renewal pricing, you could have surely brought them to our attention through our Contact Us page. Customer retention is our goal (you can't base a business model on subscription services without renewals), and we always welcome direct feedback.

Cheers
Lewis
-------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS
Managing Member
Arca Noae, LLC                               www.arcanoae.com