OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

Dos and WinOS2

(1/2) > >>

Rick Smith:
Greetings,

I have just discovered that both dos and winos2 prompts do not work, in fact loading either window or full screen hangs my laptop. I do not recall this issue when I installed arca on this laptop before but it was awhile ago.  I looked on arca web site and seemed they had directions to fix similar issues so I did try those, autoexec.bat and the config.sys change but problem persists.  Any ideas?

Rick

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Rick

There is some documentation about this, but I'm not sure if it is the same issue:
- There is a fix here: https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=1193
- Here there is some documentation about the issues: https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/arcaos/known-issues-commonly-reported/#doswin

Check those out and let us know this helps you fix your issue.

Regards

Rick Smith:
That second link is the information I did actually try.  Your fist link to the mantis doesnt seem to work.

Rick

Andreas Schnellbacher:
The Mantis link works, but you need to log in first.

The bug tracker entry is about an alternate DOS video driver for OS/2. David wrote that the driver works on some ThinkPads. There's no guarantee that it works.

ArcaOS 5.1 improves the situation in UEFI mode. It uses the improved DOS support of it. The disadvantage is that with UEFI you have to wipe the hard disk and older tools do not work. They continue to work for the MBR area within an UEFI partition. OS/2 doesn't see the UEFI partitions. Another disadvantage is that 5.1 is not released yet.

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Andreas Schnellbacher on July 08, 2022, 04:17:22 pm ---
ArcaOS 5.1 improves the situation in UEFI mode. It uses the improved DOS support of it. The disadvantage is that with UEFI you have to wipe the hard disk and older tools do not work. They continue to work for the MBR area within an UEFI partition. OS/2 doesn't see the UEFI partitions. Another disadvantage is that 5.1 is not released yet.

--- End quote ---

That's only true (the wiping) if you want/need to use GPT partitioning and even then you don't need to wipe usually, you can use any partitioning tool to create a GPT partition (under 2TB) to install AOS. Of course there are always some problems with Windows playing nice with others and documenting all this is unfinished as far as I know and needs to be done before release.
A regular MBR system works fine in UEFI mode though you do need an ESP partition which can be as small as 64MiB so some free space needed.
The DOS/WinOS2 support is very good in UEFI mode

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version