Public Discussions > General Discussion

I have a problem

<< < (2/3) > >>

Andi B.:

--- Quote --- The error shown is a moving box saying 'incorrect video resolution',
--- End quote ---
To make it clear this is a message box coming from the monitor which does not like to show the video signal that is offered to it.

--- Quote ---One thing I forgot to mention is that all the monitors are HDMI a
--- End quote ---
This is an important information in this context. Unfortunately I don't know which resolutions are mandatory with HDMI (guess 720p is one of them, and some other television standards, could be that there is not a single computer resolution mandatory with HDMI cause HDMI was invented for consumer/television market, not computers. So it's up to your specific monitor which resolution it likes or not).

F.i. with DVI 640x480 at 60Hz is mandatory. There seems to be other resolutions are supported by most monitors even when connected via HDMI as modern BIOSes often uses higher resolutions. Guess AirBoot uses 800x600 (it's a guess) which is very well supported by computers (DVI, DisplayPort) but maybe not well supported by monitors connected by HDMI. But could also be that modern BIOSes checks the resolutions the connected monitor offers (via DDC and EDID info) and uses one of the supported ones. This is probably not possible with AirBoot given the limited code space I fear.

Things to check -
- what resolutions does your monitor support via the connector you choose (HDMI in your case)
- what resolution uses current AirBoot
- what resolutions are supported by the majority of monitors out there even when connected via HDMI
Based on that you can kindly ask the AirBoot author to check if he can use better resolution.

Another option would be using a more proper connection method (DP or DVI) and see if that helps.

Btw. the topic you choose is not very specific.

Tom:

--- Quote from: ivan on July 19, 2022, 07:47:04 am ---@Tom,  that is what it appears to be although just how much influence using the HDMI port has I don't know.  As to the version of Air-boot, I assume there must be a way of finding out from the program code.

--- End quote ---

Just use a command prompt and type airboot2 to start the Airboot installer. The output tells you the version that is in use.

Neil Waldhauer:
If you are booting Windows on UEFI, then there really isn't a solution that will work. When ArcaOS 5.1 comes out with UEFI support, then pretty much any UEFI boot manager will work.

AirBoot is a BIOS-based boot manager, as is the IBM boot manager. It would be nice if someone would make a UEFI boot manager that communicated with BIOS to support a BIOS boot manager and give us a boot manager that could boot either type of OS.

ivan:
Thanks everyone.

It looks as if I go back to having two computers.  Maybe I should look for a very small AMD processor based unit to read the data logger and then connect it to my main 28inch monitor via an HDMI USB KVM switch similar to how I run my Linux boxes.

Dave Yeo:
As Neil said, wait for AOS 5.1, install in UEFI mode and use a graphical bootmanager. I use rEFInd for UEFI, works well, graphical so should work for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version