OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

Displayport?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Hi ivan,

--- Quote from: ivan on August 06, 2022, 10:08:39 am ---I can't help wondering why people keep on using something designed to prevent phosphor burn in on CRT monitors when it doesn't work on modern LCD panels.  I gave up using a screen saver back in 1990 when I pensioned off my CRT monitor for a 28" LCD unit....
--- End quote ---

Well, there is still that power use part of the equation...no? LOL ;) If you want to be either ECO friendly, or wallet friendly, the real DPMS option allows the display to go into power-saving mode...and for my Dell units that's a difference of 30W (operating) vs 0.5W (active-off).

Dave Yeo:
Exactly the same here, power savings on this old Samsung SyncMaster 243T is from less then 75 watts (74?) to 2 watts, which adds up

Martin Iturbide:

--- Quote from: ivan on August 06, 2022, 10:08:39 am ---Ican't help wondering why people keep on using something designed to prevent phosphor burn in on CRT monitors when it doesn't work on modern LCD panels.

--- End quote ---

I love screen savers. I know that all those "tree huggers hippies" are right when they say that is just better for the earth to automatically turn off the monitor, but I just loved the old Johnny Castaway.  ;D ;D ;D

Regards

ivan:
I know what you all are saying but my monitors have a little button at the bottom right corner which when pressed the screen goes blank (about 0.005W power draw) and when pressed again it springs to life.  I can't ask for much better than that.

Andreas Schnellbacher:
Yes, I also often use the Power "button" of the LCD monitor, as I did for the CRT (can't really remember). The screen saver app works here with VGA, HDMI, DVI connectors. Haven't tried with a DVI - DP converter, due to lack of an adapter. The on-board jacks are VGA, HDMI and DVI, the monitor has them all: VGA, Composite,  HDMI, DVI, DP.

All these on-board connectors work with the screen saver (only tried blank screen). Haven't tested another machine with DP, but may follow in far future.

I had the LCD for a long time connected via VGA (was another machine with a Matrox), but then have also tried other interfaces. It took a while, but now I think the blurry display of an analog connection looks worse. Of course, monitor settings have to be adapted. I have both Brightness and esp. Contrast set to lower values.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version