OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Networking

Samba 4.13.x Update/Status

(1/2) > >>

Paul Smedley:
Hi All,

As some would be aware, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS switched to Samba 4.13.x a while back, mainly due to a particular security fix that couldn't be backported to 4.11.

This was a problem for us, as Samba 4.12+ introduced the use of some API that we don't have (openat, renameat and friends). I initially raised a bww ticket for these (https://github.com/bitwiseworks/libcx/issues/81) but there seems to be no interest in working on this.

Meanwhile, I started working on my own implementation, which seems to be sufficient for now - see https://github.com/psmedley/at-funcs

With these in place, I was still having issues with directory listings, and using the debugger, noticed we're also missing fdopendir - so I implemented that too.

I can now get directory listings and transfer files using SMB1 and Samba 4.13.14

With SMB2, I'm getting:
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED

So there's still work to do to understand why this is happening.

More news when there's something worth sharing

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Smedley:
Hey All,

I think I found the problem with SMB2+ connections. Samba 4.13 changed a writev() call to sendmsg() - seems the sendmsg() call fails for us.

Rebuilding now, and will do some more local testing, but I might have something to test shortly :)

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Smedley:
Hey All,

--- Quote from: Paul Smedley on August 14, 2022, 11:41:03 am ---I think I found the problem with SMB2+ connections. Samba 4.13 changed a writev() call to sendmsg() - seems the sendmsg() call fails for us.

Rebuilding now, and will do some more local testing, but I might have something to test shortly :)

--- End quote ---

Anyone interested in testing an updated Samba *server* - please let me know.

Mike Kölling:

--- Quote from: Paul Smedley on August 28, 2022, 02:59:22 am ---Hey All,

--- End quote ---

Hi Paul,

I am running SAMBA server 3.6.25 for some time by now. I would really like to have a 4.x basd SAMBA server.

Greetings from Potsdam, Germany
Mike

Paul Smedley:
Hi Mike,

--- Quote from: Mike Kölling on August 29, 2022, 09:34:07 am ---
--- Quote from: Paul Smedley on August 28, 2022, 02:59:22 am ---Hey All,

--- End quote ---
I am running SAMBA server 3.6.25 for some time by now. I would really like to have a 4.x basd SAMBA server.

--- End quote ---

To be clear - this is still very much beta level code, and it's possible data loss could occur. There are also currently no GUI tools - and there may be some manually editing of smb.conf required to get this running.

If none of this has scared you away - please send me an email, and I'll get you added to a testers mailing list.

Cheers,

Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version