OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

Terminal App Recommendation

<< < (2/5) > >>

Andreas Schnellbacher:

--- Quote from: christech on August 17, 2022, 09:24:32 pm ---With ZOC I can see the serial output from the switch but can't type anything.

--- End quote ---
ZOC has several protocols and handshakes to try. It's rather unlikely that it doesn't work. Additionally the baud rates etc. must match. Which cable do you try with which application on the other side?

christech:
I'm using a serial console cable to my Serial USB. I'll try Kermit..

Andreas Schnellbacher:

--- Quote from: christech on August 18, 2022, 12:38:36 am ---I'm using a serial console cable to my Serial USB.

--- End quote ---
From one machine to the other? Or from one port to another both on the same machine, which is similar? What do you mean with "serial console cable"? Pins 2 and 3 straightly connected?

Then you need a null modem cable. Sometimes it works to exchange just 2 and 3 on one side, but in most cases you also need the other connections.

christech:
Console cables are rollover or crossover cables. These typically come with the switches to provide an initial setup.

Andreas Schnellbacher:

--- Quote from: christech on August 18, 2022, 05:34:47 pm ---Console cables are rollover or crossover cables. These typically come with the switches to provide an initial setup.

--- End quote ---
OK, I understand. Then it might not be a machine-to-machine connection. And if the cable is prepared for a connection to a machine, it should work. I guess that the baud rates doesn't match.

The serial interface is probably not the Kermit protocol. That doesn't mean that a so-called Kermit terminal app can't work with it. But Kermit is one of the protocols for point-to-point connections. BTW: XModem is another one that allows reliable connections with a null modem cable even up to 57600 Baud. But that doesn't apply for your case.

Do you have a description in the switch manual about how to connect to a machine over the supplied cable?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version