Author Topic: Terminal App Recommendation  (Read 12289 times)

christech

• View Profile
Terminal App Recommendation
« on: August 17, 2022, 06:39:19 pm »
Can anyone recommend an app to connect to serial devices? I found my COM port with the help here. I'm trying to connect to a network switch to test out the connection.

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Terminal App Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 08:37:04 pm »
Is it an active or passive switch?  If active, all you need is a browser and open the management console.  If passive, just plug in the network cable to the internet modem and another cable to your computer then use a browser to connect to the internet.

I have both active and passive switches on my internal network and have never used a serial device on them.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 08:39:39 pm »
There is a versio of Putty for OS?2 Arca OS   It is a bit old. the is another app called ZOC which they stopped making an OS/2 version ages ago. but I think you can still get it from EMtec .... https://www.emtec.com/download.html?what=zoc#zocfiles. It was a very good application.

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 09:24:32 pm »
I tried QPutty but there is no serial option. With ZOC I can see the serial output from the switch but can't type anything.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 11:12:37 pm »
Kermit? http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html. Hmm, binaries don't seem to be there, I'll zip up my install and attach.
Also https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/remote/miniTerm_a5.zip might work as a simple terminal program. It's been a long time but there are others at https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/remote/

Let me know if kermit works, should be uploaded to Hobbes

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 12:11:45 am »
With ZOC I can see the serial output from the switch but can't type anything.
ZOC has several protocols and handshakes to try. It's rather unlikely that it doesn't work. Additionally the baud rates etc. must match. Which cable do you try with which application on the other side?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 12:15:23 am by Andreas Schnellbacher »

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 12:38:36 am »
I'm using a serial console cable to my Serial USB. I'll try Kermit..

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 09:53:11 am »
I'm using a serial console cable to my Serial USB.
From one machine to the other? Or from one port to another both on the same machine, which is similar? What do you mean with "serial console cable"? Pins 2 and 3 straightly connected?

Then you need a null modem cable. Sometimes it works to exchange just 2 and 3 on one side, but in most cases you also need the other connections.

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 05:34:47 pm »
Console cables are rollover or crossover cables. These typically come with the switches to provide an initial setup.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 07:15:20 pm »
Console cables are rollover or crossover cables. These typically come with the switches to provide an initial setup.
OK, I understand. Then it might not be a machine-to-machine connection. And if the cable is prepared for a connection to a machine, it should work. I guess that the baud rates doesn't match.

The serial interface is probably not the Kermit protocol. That doesn't mean that a so-called Kermit terminal app can't work with it. But Kermit is one of the protocols for point-to-point connections. BTW: XModem is another one that allows reliable connections with a null modem cable even up to 57600 Baud. But that doesn't apply for your case.

Do you have a description in the switch manual about how to connect to a machine over the supplied cable?

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 11:17:07 am »
OS/2 usually comes with Halite. Maybe you have to select it during ArcaOS installation. It  reminds me a bit to Hyperterminal on Win. It's simple and looks a bit weird this days but it works if you set up a serial connection profile.

Zoc is 'the' ultimate terminal application for OS/2 - ArcaOS with all sort of functions and possibilities which may be confusing at first. But it's worth to play with it.

Qputty also works here.   

So your cable and baud rate is okay. I suggest you deselect all the handshake options in the Zoc dialog to test. Maybe that helps. If not, I once had a problem with a USB to serial converter which only worked in one direction. I trashed it away and another one works as expected.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2022, 10:30:31 pm »
Halite - Hyperterminal
Both stem from the same producer, Hilgraeve. Hyper Access existed also for W$. Both didn't work for many connections. But is should work well with standard connections and fonts.

Zoc is 'the' ultimate terminal application for OS/2 - ArcaOS
.. and still for Windows, while PuTTY is nowadays the better option, at least it was for Telnet. I don't have experience with it over serial connections. BTW: I use the same ZOC version on W$ at work that exists as last version for OS/2, just because it has less bugs. I have included key conversion and many REXX macros for automation. But I agree, that should be overkill for a simple connection with a appropriate cable.

So your cable and baud rate is okay. I suggest you deselect all the handshake options in the Zoc dialog to test.
Good point. May be. The standard is: 9600/8/N/1/- (9600 Baud, 8 Bit, no parity, 1 stop bit, no Xon/Xoff hand shake AKA flow control.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 10:36:50 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 11:37:39 pm »
I've gotten further. Saw another post to add the /Z /V to the USBCOM.SYS device statement. I am now able to connect to the serial device and enter text. The problem now is it its adding some extra characters when I enter text. So far HyperAccess Lite is the only program that is at least connecting. I see the [24;11H after entering text and it seems to me like it's some kind of escape sequence.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2022, 12:03:15 am »
I see the [24;11H after entering text and it seems to me like it's some kind of escape sequence.

If I am not mistaken, that escape sequence positions the cursor on row 24, column 11 on your screen. Does this match what you are seeing?

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2022, 12:19:29 am »
Sounds about right, I was also able to get ZOC working, and it's doing the same thing. I was able to login to the device but the escape sequences are still there. Weird!