OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Multimedia

XHCI and USB Audio perspectives

<< < (11/14) > >>

Mikhail:
Question to the community of USB Audio device users.
I am interested in the opinion of those who use USB 3.0 XHCI port to connect an audio device, do you play audio files of different resolutions correctly?
Especially when switching between tracks of different resolutions, for example, when switching from 16bit/44.1kHz to 24bit/48kHz, is there any sound slowing down, and can your audio device display a stream format that does it get?

In my case, from the first time after switching from one resolution file to another, the signal parameters on the audio device do not change and the sound is distorted, only after restarting playback, the sound is played correctly and the device overrides the stream format.

I am using USB drivers 12.14 and have tried different versions of USB audio drivers from Lars with the same result. The software playing the file does not matter, the symptoms are the same on the built-in player and on PM123.

Maybe there are some suggestions, what could be the problem?

Lars:
That could either be the audio class driver (USBAUDIO, usbaud2) or the HC driver (USBXHCD). If you can, borrow a USB 2.0 (ehci) plug-in card from someone and see if that makes a difference (don't forget to add the USBEHCD driver to config.sys). If yes, it's the HC driver. If not, it's the audio class driver.

EDIT: I just tried on my system (using USBEHCD HC driver, no XHCI). I can swap sound file play (using different sample rate and resolution) without a problem, meaning, I can start playing one file, interrupting by playing another file with different sample rate and bit resolution and once that second file has finished playing, automatically resuming playing the first file. I have no distortion, glitch or anything else.

But that might also depend on the USB audio HW (not all USB audio HW behaves the very same way even though there are standards ...).

Mikhail:
Good time of day.

Lars, thank you for your feedback.
I've done the tests you mentioned. So far I have only an audio device based on Amanero. Another one based on Xmos will arrive at the weekend.

So far, the results are as follows:
The problem with changing the frequency on the device receiving the audio stream manifests itself on both EHCI controllers and XHCI.
In the beginning I used USB drivers version 12.14 and USB Audio driver 10.247
I have a motherboard Supermicro x10SBA with an EHCI controller on which I can turn off XHCI, and there is also a motherboard on which there is only XHCI and there is a separate PCI-e board with XHCI. After I made sure that the problem repeats on any of the controllers on the same set of software, I switched to an already tested board with an EHCI controller.

1. Remove the XHCI driver from Config, downgrade the USB driver version to 12.13, then to 12.12 - The problem persists.
2. USB driver version 12.12 and USB Audio driver 10.244 - No problem, everything is clear.
3. USB driver version 12.14 and USB Audio driver 10.244 - No problem, everything is clear.
4. USB drivers version 12.12 and USB Audio drivers SVN2364, SVN2368, 10.247 - The problem persists.

An interesting observation. Reset the audio device to 16bit/44/1kHz mode
I consistently play Wav audio files in various formats one by one, let's say so:
16/44.1 -> 24/48 -> 24/96 -> 24/192,
then on the indicator of the audio device we will see such a sequence of switching formats:
16/44.1 (Ok) -> 16/44.1 (Ops, it was necessary to switch to 24/48) -> 24/48 (Switched but not there, we need 24/96) -> 24/96 (again the parameters of the previous stream))
I have the impression that the switching is not on the frequency of the stream that should start, and on the frequency of the previous one.

Lars:
Then this is one of the cases where the audio USB HW is different enough in behaviour for two devices to work differently with the very same USB audio class driver.
As so often we have to find the "greatest common denominator" to make it work with Anamero but not to break it with the other devices that work (my device as an example ...).

If I find the time, we can do some trial and error to find that "greatest common denominator" but I cannot promise.

Lars:

--- Quote from: Mikhail on December 08, 2022, 12:51:35 am ---1. Remove the XHCI driver from Config, downgrade the USB driver version to 12.13, then to 12.12 - The problem persists.
2. USB driver version 12.12 and USB Audio driver 10.245 - No problem, everything is clear.
3. USB driver version 12.14 and USB Audio driver 10.245 - No problem, everything is clear.
4. USB drivers version 12.12 and USB Audio drivers SVN2364, SVN2368, 1.247 - The problem persists.

--- End quote ---

Are you sure about that ? I have not changed anything except for the support for 4 new subtypes (8 kHz, 24/32-bit,mono/stereo) in USBAUDIO.SYS and USBAUD2.SYS from 10.245 to 10.247. So how can it work with 10.245 but not with 10.247 ?
Have you done a full reinstallation of the 10.247 USB audio driver install package, including all subcomponents that it contains, and not just copying/unzipping files ?

I still claim it has something to do with the HC drivers.

As a test, can you only test with my USB driver set ? Just install all of 10.247 to test with EHCI. If done, you can revert back to 12.14.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version