OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

Trying to get Sound in VMWare to run - help appriciated

(1/2) > >>

Sigurd Fastenrath:
During the last three years I assembled two Retro-PC:

1.) AMD DX2/80MHz CPU, 64 MB RAM, 420MB HDD - running OS/2 Warp 3 (a perfect clone of my first PC 1995)
2.) IBM 6x86 MX 300MHz CPU; ASUS TX97-E Board, ESS1868 Sound, 2GB HDD, 256MB RAM, Matrox G450 PCI 32MB Graphic - the perfect combination for OS/2 Warp 4

Regarding modern hardware I am going to move from Bare Metal inside a VM.

VMWare PRO is my choice, I do like it (for some reason I can not really explain) more than Virtualbox.

I wrote some years ago about my experience with OS/2 and ArcaOS inside VMware Pro, wich have been really almost perfect! Since someone wrote a mouse "addition" for VMware.

The ONLY hardware I am missing is Sound. I was not able to get it to work.

You can read about my attempts in this forum here: https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1378.msg13125.html#msg13125

You can read my question in the VMWare Forum in 2017 here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/No-Soundblaster-in-VM-Ware-Workstation-12/td-p/918140

You can read my Experience with the Mousesupport (= Additions) here (German): https://www.os2.org/viewtopic.php?t=3083

No luck so far.

I do not open a Arca Bug tracker ticket because my Subscription ended already and I am not going to prolongue it and because it is a problem not only for ArcaOS but also eCS and OS/2.

Help is appriciated!

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Sigurd.

I'm looking forward on this thread to document and see the experience of the OS/2 Guest on a VMWare Workstation Pro host.

As my personal experience VMWare Pro was awesome, but in some point in history VMWare removed OS/2 support producing some kind of outrage on the community. VirtualBox showed up and I prefered an open platform.

I have linked you experience with VMWare 12 Player, just in case.

For what I see VMWare Workstation Pro is on version 16.2.4 and I have some interest to give it a little ride.

Regards

Sean Casey:
Using Lars' USB drivers with CM6553 USB audio on VMware Workstation Pro.   Works well.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

I didn't get far with VMware Workstation Pro 16.0.2 on Windows 10 host.  I run the VM and when I boot with ISO I don't even get to the first menu.

Regards

Sean Casey:
Hi,

I'm on Linux and have never had issues with ArcaOS installations, so  I'm not sure what the source of your problem might be.   Have a look at your ArcaOS 5.0.7.vmx file and compare to the following default installation configuration that was generated by my VMware New Virtual Machine Wizard:

.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "19"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"