Author Topic: Warpstock 2022 - Presentations  (Read 7376 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Warpstock 2022 - Presentations
« on: September 06, 2022, 10:41:25 pm »
Hi

I want to open the discussion with two things:

1) Do you want to give a presentation at Warpstock 2022? In person or Skype? Let Neil Waldhauer ( presenters AT
warpstock DOT org) or me know about it.

2) Is there any topic that may be interesting to talk about in Warpstock 2022 ?

You don't have to answer both  ;D

Regards
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 10:44:46 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
Re: Warpstock 2022 - Presentations
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 12:08:13 am »
Where's Arca 5.1?

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 12:25:16 am »

Craig Miller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 09:15:46 pm »
Not sure how to word this but I would be interested in where we are with video/sound/network drivers/software with Arca 5.1

I love using OS/2 a retro machine at the moment (playing Ultima 4 atm via DOSBox), but I'm hoping 5.1 helps with making it easier (especially under windows 3.1)

Would love to hear about the progress on the new web browser.

Love the progress though! Exciting!

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 11:17:11 pm »

That subject is also on the agenda, as part of Roderick Klein's presentation "Update from BitWise Works"

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 12:23:01 am »
Not sure how to word this but I would be interested in where we are with video/sound/network drivers/software with Arca 5.1

Most wired network cards work and with the setup the developer has, as the BSD's support new hardware, it is simple to port.
Sound, see the updated Uniaud thread, most MB sound cards work and the USB sound support is fairly good.
Video is currently Panorama, basically a VESA driver, which works surprisingly good with Intel and AMD but not with NVidia. There is often problems with newer hardware getting DOS/WinOS2 running due to broken video BIOSes being common. Sometimes they work full screen and sometimes not at all. For UEFI booting, Arca Noae has its own BIOS code as UEFI doesn't support VESA and DOS/WinOS2 support is very good.
No 3D support currently.

I love using OS/2 a retro machine at the moment (playing Ultima 4 atm via DOSBox), but I'm hoping 5.1 helps with making it easier (especially under windows 3.1)

Depends on your machine as described above.

Love the progress though! Exciting!

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 09:23:37 pm »
Hi

Remember to let us know any ideas, or if there is any volunteer that want to give a presentation in person or remote.

Lewis is part of the Warpstock Directors, so he is going to be there taking about ArcaOS 5.1.

Neil is currently consolidating the presentations: http://www.warpstock.org/staticpages/index.php?page=ws2022_sessions

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 11:47:56 pm »
I don't mean to sound pushy, but I'd love for there to be some discussion regarding the viabiltiy of QEMU and perhaps any intentions of releasing a build - I think this would be suited more as a question rather than a presentation point however.

Optional reading spiel:
It's no secret - I'm a more than a bit passionate about having a working and stable QEMU build for ArcaOS (I've got a few posts discussing it). In addition to being a perfect fit for the 'retro gaming' front (namely anything from Windows 9x requiring DirectX) which Arca Noae wants to approach, QEMU would very much be a welcome replacement to the problematic, featureless, resource-intensive and ever-aging Virtualbox.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 11:49:41 pm by Ibrahim Hakeem »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 03:40:54 am »
Good one Ibrahim.

Maybe it can be interesting to update our wishlist for OS/2-ArcaOS for 2022 (on a different thread) and see if we can get some discussion on Warpstock.
I think that ArcaOS 5.1 will be an important milestone and now there had be more focus on the future of the platform more from the side of applications.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 02:04:32 pm »
I don't mean to sound pushy, but I'd love for there to be some discussion regarding the viabiltiy of QEMU and perhaps any intentions of releasing a build - I think this would be suited more as a question rather than a presentation point however.

Optional reading spiel:
It's no secret - I'm a more than a bit passionate about having a working and stable QEMU build for ArcaOS (I've got a few posts discussing it). In addition to being a perfect fit for the 'retro gaming' front (namely anything from Windows 9x requiring DirectX) which Arca Noae wants to approach, QEMU would very much be a welcome replacement to the problematic, featureless, resource-intensive and ever-aging Virtualbox.

As long as ArcaOS can not solve the RAM Problem on modern hardware (younger than 2016) it will be a dead end for the retro ambitions as well as the virtualisation solutions, even for the new browser or the use of Open Office. With a maximum usable RAM of 1 to 2 GB it is simply unusable. As long as you stay with (selected) hardware up to 2015/2016 you can still have 3 to 3.5 GB of RAM, and therefore it may be possible to use QEMU etc.

Using ArcaOS on hardware younger than 2016 can make sense for industrial users, but as soon as you depend on more RAM than 1GB the only solution is to use it inside a Virtualisation like Virtualbox, VMWare etc. under Windows or Linux. And if you do that, you can have 3D accelerated Windows 98 with these Virtualisations side by side with the virtual ArcaOS.

Once you come to that point, that is, where I am now, and you want to use OS/2 inside a Virtualisation as a "real" Retro machine, than you can also use plain Warp 3 or Warp 4 as it makes no difference. Warp 4 is even better for Retro, because of the use of these new windows managers some programs are not that usable with ArcaOS than those are with Warp 4.

And if you want to have a certainly real "real" Retro feeling, I would like to advice to build your own Retro PC. I did this for Warp 3 with a 486AMD DX2/80 and for Warp 4 with an IBM 686MX PR300 CPU with "OS/2 Tailored" Hardware. Both of these Retro PC does have Pure DOS installed, available through the OS/2 Bootmanager.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 02:08:34 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »