Author Topic: Installing programs  (Read 8671 times)

Jim

• View Profile
Installing programs
« on: September 07, 2022, 10:12:44 pm »
Hi.  As background I have been using OS/2 since OS/2 for Windows.
I would like to start using it again.  I have installed it from ecomstation version 1.1 CD's.  That worked OK. 
However, I no longer have the Installation code due to time and inability to get any one from Ecommstation to contact me.
So I am stuck with a version of ecomstation that works but Some programs from the cd and Hobbes don't install or work.
I would like to have help with getting programs installed and getting on-line.
Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

• View Profile
Re: Installing programs
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 11:19:31 pm »
So I am stuck with a version of ecomstation that works but Some programs from the cd and Hobbes don't install or work.
I would like to have help with getting programs installed and getting on-line.
Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Can you be more specific about which programs you would like to install?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 02:46:56 pm »
Hi Jim

I don't know much about your background, but I just want to add something to the conversation.

- eComStation. Sadly, we haven't seen any update to eComStation in years. No communication and we don't know what happened. They just have their website online an that's all. On the other hand ArcaOS it is supported and actively maintained. ArcaOS is based in OS/2 Warp 4.52 (not linux), but it has some updates and software that had been ported from the Linux world, but it is still OS/2.  I suggest you to get ArcaOS if you can, it will be an easy install for you on modern hardware compared to eComStation.

- About OS/2 software: Hobbes is the best place to surf and download software for the platform manually. But also the Netlabs RPM YUM offers updated libraries and also software that we need, and it makes it simply to get it directly from the Internet. You can get Arca Noae Package Manager (Free) to get a better GUI experience on using RPM/YUM.

- About the programs that does not run or install, please post the detail, pictures and we will try to help you with that. Just let us know also what software are you looking for.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 03:30:42 pm »
You can run Suntan Special on a freshly installed eCS 1.1 and get a lot of missing pieces installed. I haven't tested against eCS 1.1 for years, so I suppose some stuff might be broken, but even so, it might be quicker than learning the details of each thing you wanted to install.

https://www.blondeguy.com/suntan6.html
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 08:09:50 pm »
Let me be a little more clear. 
I am using virtual box to run os/2.  I have no easy way to pass things to OS/2.  I essentially convert files and installers to .iso's which I open with the OS/2 cd drive and then copy to the virtual Hard drives.
With installers I then try to execute them.
There in lies the problem. In the case of "FootPrint Works" it displays a dialogue box asking where the installation of FPW is. The problem is it hasn't been installed yet.
Core of my problem is this.
I am an old person, pushing 80 and started with personal computer in the 1980's. I have deteriorated physically to the point that in order to continue with computers, my window on the world, I needed to make some changes.
I cannot see very well and have cognitive that make Icons useless to me. 
I have settled on DOS and OS/2.  DOS because it is text based and therefore I can type in the name of a programs, I use DOSBOX for that and thought about OS/2 because as I remember I can adjust the font and type face for individual icons.
I don't want to bore you anymore. But I would like to get something working, and hope someone to help with that.

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 08:19:59 pm »
I use Linux some but it is a mess.  Unreliable and unnecessarily fussy.
It appears that Arce Noe is nothing but unix or linux with a glued on desktop I am not going to bother with something that is one large Kludge and a deliberately over complicated.  It may be good as a server but a PITA as a desktop device.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 11:39:08 pm »
In the case of "FootPrint Works" it displays a dialogue box asking where the installation of FPW is. The problem is it hasn't been installed yet.

Footprint Works is an earlier version of what later was included with the Bonuspak from OS/2 Warp 3 and 4 under the name "IBM Works".
There is even a page about it on the os2world wiki: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Footprint_Works

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 11:45:21 pm »
It appears that Arce Noe is nothing but unix or linux with a glued on desktop I am not going to bother with something that is one large Kludge and a deliberately over complicated.  It may be good as a server but a PITA as a desktop device.

I would describe it just the other way around: Arca Noae is basically OS/2 version 4.52 (aka MCP 2) with fixes, and a lot of software that is ported from the *nix world. It works on more modern hardware than eComStation 1.1. If you are not interested in the ported software: then don't install that extra software.

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2022, 03:56:02 am »
I dont use newer hardware.  I use an old 486, as Bill Gates said "no ones needs more then 640k. I agree the rest is just decoration and sloppy programing. If you read all my posts in this thread. I can't do icons and pictures very well.
So I don't need all that stuff.  I just need an o/s that will let me do what i need to do.

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 08:01:47 am »
I use Linux some but it is a mess.  Unreliable and unnecessarily fussy.

Well, indeed Arca Noae is pretty much different from Linux. Based on OS/2 Warp 4.52 with the latest fixes, both its kernel (which is still incredibly robust) and its GUI are something that Linux never had (and never will, imho).
I found its interface pretty user friendly and somehow find myself more "at home" than with any other OS I used, from Mac to Windows (all flavors).

If you're not interested in the linux ported software, simply don't use it. You may find yourself a little short of options, but still.
Mentore

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 05:29:56 pm »
Personally I would never recomend Ecomstation that early.

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 06:52:10 pm »
Ecomstation 1is what I have. FPWorks came off the Ecomstation disks.  Because I have misplaced/lost the ecomstation install key a can't do a full install. I have been able to to install Lotus and Staroffice So I have Office applications. I can access a website through Staroffice I think tcpip works but no websites actually work so I think the browser is outdated.
Once again I cant install an updated browser to test that. 
It looks like I am going to be using DOS primarily.
Thanks, all of you, for trying to help.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2022, 06:50:46 pm »
Hi Jim

If you still have eCS installed somewhere or a backup of the installation you should find the Reg Key in the file REGKEY.TXT in the root of the boot drive.

Regards

Pete

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2022, 09:59:53 pm »
I couldn't find that file anywhere.
As I remember I was able to install from disk 1 and I have installed bit by bit programs from Disk 2 and 3.
I am giving up on this i will continue with a plain dos emulater.
Thanks for the help. I thought that might work.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2022, 06:25:36 pm »
Would you like my eCS 1.1 registration key? I no longer use any version of eCS, so the license should be transferrable.