Author Topic: QSInit Loader - a big THANK YOU!!  (Read 11747 times)

Michaelhz

QSInit Loader - a big THANK YOU!!
« on: January 19, 2014, 09:43:51 pm »
Hi all,

just want to say a big thank you to the developer(s) of QSInit!!  :D
Writing here from an AMD-System with 8 Gig RAM, running eCS beta II. The ramdisk feature runs with traditional loader and kernel (14.106_SMP) and recent ACPI 3.22.03 (w/o /VW switch).
Furthermore I have updated my little homeserver with a new MSI C847MS-E33 Celeron 847  NM70 board. Thanks to new QS-Loader the system works now with full 4 Gig RAM and recent ACPI 3.22.03 (!) with /vw switch. Mensys loader only provided 512 MB. :o
So at least on some systems QS-Loader is much better than described in it's docs.
Happy testing to everyone - Its definitely worth a try.
BR
Michael

walking_x

• View Profile
Re: QSInit Loader - a big THANK YOU!!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 11:25:26 am »
Thank you, it's my pleasure  :D

Another note: i'm added IOCTL api for sector-oriented i/o and example for it in QS SDK. Some kind of MS-DOS XMS-like api can be made on its base - but this require own time and hero ;)

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 12:14:31 am »
Mr/ Walking X.. It seems you are well versed in writing device drivers. And your fiels of interest is the loader and kernel. How about shifting focus a bit and write USB 3 drivers?  Or update SNAP? Or do some work on WLAN? Seems to me you could contribute quite a lot in all those fields if you were motivated... Why not do like Paul Smedley and open a donation possibility on mensys. Then develop what people would be interested in, by showing some money)

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 06:36:07 am »
It seems you are well versed in writing device drivers. And your fiels of interest is the loader and kernel. How about shifting focus a bit and write USB 3 drivers?
I'm not so familiar with drivers, in fact this ADD is a first one, I wrote for OS/2 ;)
And not interested in USB 3.0 ;)
But not this is a reason, but amount of work is.
USB or WLAN - requires full-time work on it. It can't be written "by half-of-hour" at the end of day.

Michaelhz

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 01:02:41 pm »
Some kind of MS-DOS XMS-like api can be made on its base - but this require own time and hero ;)
Ha, for sure it does not require an 45 your old fortran77 programmer who led an numerical simulation team decades ago.... :-\
Michael

gamba

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 05:06:57 pm »
A great thank you to walking_x from me too! I updated http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/QSINIT with the new download links and a link the Doug's explanation about how to format the RAMDISK with JFS.